(golf) pro shop

meijin

Japanese
Hi, I've never been to a golf course but it seems that there are stores inside golf courses and they are called "pro shops" in English (according to Wikipedia and WR dictionary). I wonder if "golf pro shop" alone means "a store/shop located inside a golf course" and if the term is used in AmE as well (since shops in general are called "stores" in AmE).

e.g. (survey question)
- Have you ever purchased anything from a golf pro shop?
- Have you ever purchased anything from a store/shop inside a golf course?

• Copyright

American English
    I think you have to be careful with a "golf pro shop" because it can sound like a place where "golf pros" shop.

Possibilities:
    Have you ever purchased anything from a golf club pro shop?
    Have you ever purchased anything from a pro shop at a golf club?

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    "Golf pro shop" is a common term in the US. Sometimes the word "golf" is omitted, since only golf and tennis have pro shops.

As you say in #1, it is usually located at a golf course (near the clubhouse and other buildings) but it may be at a driving range. It sells golf equipment, and possibly golf clothing. If the course has a resident golf pro (an instructor, who may be a tournament professional) he or she is probably located at the pro shop. Individual instruction on driving (long range shots) is often held at a driving range, where you pay for a bucket of golf balls, then stand in one place hitting them out into a field. Many golf courses have "putting greens" where you can practice putting, or have an instructor evaluate your putting.

meijin

Japanese
    As you say in #1, it is usually located at a golf course (near the clubhouse and other buildings) but it may be at a driving range.
    Thanks dojibear. So, if I want to refer to all the pro shops for golfers (not just the ones located at golf courses), "golf pro shops" alone works, and the "golf club pro shops" or "pro shops at golf clubs" will be understood as the ones at golf courses.

< Previous | Next >