gone right down the middle of the line

barrysondakh

Indonesian; Chinese
They have a consistent strategy which involves negotiating a fine line between sentiment on the left and the interests of the industries that they're out there to protect. And they've always, kind of, taken that fork in the road and gone right down the middle of the line. And they're doing that with this health care bill and that's- it's consistent.

I try to understand by myself:
The line here refers to a fine line that’s the line between sentiment on the left (as the Democratic Party’s platform) and the industry interests. 'Go right downn the middle' is a metaphor used by the writer to describe a condition in the middle of a political process that Democrat would go - go right, for industrialist benefits.

Please correct me.
Why the writer did't say 'gone right down in the middle of the line'?
Can I say ‘gone down right the middle of the line’ instead of 'gone right down....?

Source

Thank you.

• BellaDancer

First, it is important to note that this was spoken, not written. Spoken language is likely to be less precise than written language.

As you seem to understand, the speaker, a political analyst, is talking about politicians taking a compromise position.

To understand the phrase down the middle of the line, imagine the painted line in the middle of a road. They are traveling along -- going down -- the middle of that line.

< Previous | Next >