Gonna write with someone

Poland91pl

Polish
Is it OK to say " gonna write with someone " instead of "gonna chat with someone "

In the context " you know in 2 hours time I'm gonna be busy cuz I'm gonna chat with someone "
By the way, do you use "gonna " in writing when chatting with your friend?

Last edited:
  • SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    No. Chat and write do not have the same meaning.

BTW: You can use whatever word you want, right or wrong.

Last edited:

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    "write with someone" - no, don't say that.
    "chat with someone" - yes, that's OK, and it doesn't matter what kind of communication you are talking about. You could chat by phone/audio or you could chat by email, text, twitter, or anything that involves you and the other person interacting.

Btw. Do you use "gonna " in writing when chatting with your friend?
    No, never. And I wouldn't use "Btw" either.
    But that's me.
    If those expressions are accepted in your communication world, then go with it.

Poland91pl

Polish
    "write with someone" - no, don't say that.
    "chat with someone" - yes, that's OK, and it doesn't matter what kind of communication you are talking about. You could chat by phone/audio or you could chat by email, text, twitter, or anything that involves you and the other person interacting.

No, never. And I wouldn't use "Btw" either.
    But that's me.
    If those expressions are accepted in your communication world, then go with it.
    Thank you for the reply. Do you use "Gonna " in everyday communication ? Can you say "talk" instead of "chat" then?

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Can you say "talk" instead of "chat" then?
    It depends on what you mean by "chat". If you mean communicating by some kind of online medium that involves typing, then no.
    If you mean communicating using spoken words, yes. But even then, there is a difference. What are you talking about? Is it a serious discussion, or just idle conversation? Chatting means the latter.

Poland91pl

Polish
    It depends on what you mean by "chat". If you mean communicating by some kind of online medium that involves typing, then no.
    If you mean communicating using spoken words, yes. But even then, there is a difference. What are you talking about? Is it a serious discussion, or just idle conversation? Chatting means the latter.
    Thank you for the reply. <-----Out-of-scope request removed by moderator (Florentia52)----->

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >