"Good bye Crocodile"

< Previous | Next >

NickJunior

Khmer
In some cultures, referring to someone as a "crocodile" is the worst insult one can inflict on his/her self-respect. However, I have heard this phrase "Good-bye, Crocodile" from native English speakers. Is this expression "Good-bye, Crocodile" a friendly term meaning the same as "See you later or next time"?

• JeffJo

USA
    USA, English
    It's from an old, humorous way of saying goodbyes, with frivolous rhymes.

See you later, alligator.
    After while, crocodile.

JamesM

I think the phrase is normally "after a while, crocodile." It's a rejoinder to the old farewell of "see you later, alligator."

A: "See you later, alligator!"
    B: "After a while, crocodile!"

It's outdated but still very friendly. Children usually love it because of the inner rhyme.

Leporello

USA, English
    It's from an old, humorous way of saying goodbyes, with frivolous rhymes.

See you later, alligator.
    After while, crocodile.
    Yes, but "In a while, crocodile," at least where I grew up (Seattle). "After while" doesn't sound like any kind of English to me. "After a while" does not fit the meter.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    In some cultures, referring to someone as a "crocodile" is the worst insult one can inflict on his/her self-respect.
    NickJunior,

In what culture (or cultures) would these greetings be an insult?

I don't use them often, but I would hate to be insulting when I intended to be friendly.

Thanks,
    Cagey

TheAmzngTwinWndr

United States
    Yes, but "In a while, crocodile," at least where I grew up (Seattle). "After while" doesn't sound like any kind of English to me. "After a while" does not fit the meter.
    You're right, "after while, crocodile" doesn't really make sense, but I've always heard it as "after while" not "in a while".

I guess I never really thought about it because I've only ever heard people say "after while, crocodile" after "see you later, alligator" so I knew what it was supposed to mean.

< Previous | Next >