good for you!

hushhush77

cantonese
In what situation shoud we say "good for you!" ? I used to believe that it should be used when we know something good happens to someone or someone has made a good decision. But I saw this: A: My neighbor is sick, so I did her shopping today. B:Good for you! What does it mean here? It's very kind of you? Thanks.

• e2efour

UK English
    In your context it amounts to praise or approval for someone who has been considerate or helpful.
    In this case the person might have said "That was very neighbourly of you."

It cannot be replaced with It's very kind of you, which is a formula used when someone is helpful to you (e.g. "I can lend you my car next week." "Thanks, it's very kind of you."). But in your example the person might have said "That was very kind of you" or "It was very kind of you to do that."

Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
    Thank you for this precious piece of information E2efour. :thumbsup:
    Just to make sure, would 'it's very kind of you' not work in the following contexts either:
    A: My grandmother is sick, so I have been doing her shopping recently.
    or
    A: My grandmother is chronically ill, so I do her shopping.
    ?

e2efour

UK English
    I would say That's very kind of you or It's very kind of you to to that (or Good for you!).
    If you say It's very kind of you, you are saying thank you or expressing your gratitude, not your approval. It would work if you changed My grandmother to Your grandmother.

< Previous | Next >