Good light?

< Previous | Next >

skye

Slovenian
I'm translating conditions of entry for a photo contest. Photographers here usually say something like "good light" (for the photos) to each other, but I've never heard of a similar English expression. Could you suggest something otherwise I'll just leave it out.

• GenJen54

USA - English
    skye said:
    Photographers here usually say something like "good light" (for the photos) to each other, but I've never heard of a similar English expression.
    Is this in the same way an actor might say "break a leg" to a fellow actor, or a dancer might say "merde" as a sign of good luck?

If so, I don't know of any in particular. Happy Flashing?! Perhaps. Oops. Nope, that has other connotations altogether. :D

Happy Shooting
    May the Light Be With You

I don't know of any specific sayings, at least among my AE photog friends.

skye

Slovenian
    The photographers wish each other good light, because you can usually make a good shot only if the light conditions are ok. At least this used to be true in the times of analog photography, I'm not sure how it works with the digital.

I might have added the last expression, even though I'm not sure if all photographers are Star Wars fans as well :D , but I've already sent that translation. Anyway, the expression is just an alternative way of good bye among photographers.

nycphotography

American English
    Do you MEAN as a wish of good luck? Or do you mean as a critique?

As a critique, we say "good lighting" meaning the photographer has made good use of lighting in composing the picture. This implies some degree of awareness and effort on the part of the photographer.

As a wish for luck, I suppose you could say 'good light', but mostly just good luck, as more than just light can derail a shoot.

< Previous | Next >