Good luck with that/good luck to you.

jiamajia

Mandarin
You have been nominated as the Employee of the Year. Good luck to you.
You have been nominated as the Employee of the Year. Good luck with that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does the second sentence imply sarcasm if it's said in normal voice? Thank you.

• dukaine

English - American
    The tone of voice does say a lot; however, the second sentence is not something we would say. When you say "good luck with that", it usually indicates that the person to whom you are speaking is able to influence the outcome. Since the person has been nominated, the outcome is then influenced by others, and the first sentence would be appropriate.

"You're trying to get nominated for Employee of the Year. Good luck with that."

As I said earlier, this won't come across as sarcastic if you use a sincere tone.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I would repeat dukaine's warning about not using this example:

"Good luck with that." is commonly use with heavy irony when brutally dismissing a stupid statement or claim:

e.g. "So you are going to take a rocket to the sun but, so you don't burn up, you are going at night? Is that right? Yeah, well, good luck with that..."

"Good luck with that." = "You're an idiot."

Lili L

Chinese
    I would repeat dukaine's warning about not using this example:

"Good luck with that." is commonly use with heavy irony when brutally dismissing a stupid statement or claim:

e.g. "So you are going to take a rocket to the sun but, so you don't burn up, you are going at night? Is that right? Yeah, well, good luck with that..."

"Good luck with that." = "You're an idiot."
    This example was very interesting. :)

< Previous | Next >