good mutton dishes/cuisines/recipes

bamboo--tw

ROC/Mandarin
Are there any good mutton dishes/cuisines/recipes on the restaurant's menu?

Hi,
Do all of the words in bold fit in the above and mean about the same to you? Thanks.

• Matching Mole

England, English
    Only "dishes" is suitable here. A recipe is an instruction on how to prepare a dish; it is not the dish itself as would be listed on a menu. Cuisine means "cooking" of a particular style. E.g. French cuisine. It is not usually said of an ingredient like mutton.

Are there any good mutton dishes/cuisines/recipes on the restaurant's menu?

Hi,
    Do all of the words in bold fit in the above and mean about the same to you? Thanks.
    Hi bamboo,

I would say that "dishes" is the most natural sounding. One could say "recipes", but to me that sounds as though one is interested in the constituents of the dish rather than the overall result and taste - it is almost as though one is in search of good recipes to try out at home.

As for "cuisines", it would not be used in the plural in this context. One could say, "is there any good mutton cuisine on the menu?", but it's not very natural.

Taika :)

Only "dishes" is suitable here. A recipe is an instruction on how to prepare a dish; it is not the dish itself as would be listed on a menu. Cuisine means "cooking" of a particular style. E.g. French cuisine. It is not usually said of an ingredient like mutton.
    I am in agreement with your point on "cuisine", but many restaurants do actually give a list of the ingredients with the name of the dish. Although this is indeed not a full "recipe", it certainly gives enough information for a person to know if they would enjoy it. If someone were to use "recipes" in this context, they would be immediately understood, even though it wouldn't be completely accurate.

Taika xxx

< Previous | Next >