Germany -> German
Hi :)

I have a question concerning Russian word usage:

In Russian you say:

-Добрый день.
-Добрый вечер.

but:

-Спокойной ночи.

Why do you use a different word for Good night? And could I also say "Добрый ночи" or would that sound awkward?

Thanks in advance. :)

• Anatoli

русский (Russian)
    "Спокойной ночи" is more common. Why? I don't why but you'll find it easier to understand and memorise what is a more common usage until you get a feeling of a language.

papillon

Russian (Ukraine)
    -Добрый день.
    -Добрый вечер.
    but:
    -Спокойной ночи.
    These actually mean different things. You would say доброе утро, добрый день and добрый вечер as a greeting when you first meet people on that particular day, in place of hello. In contrast, Спокойной ночи is used as a last thing you say to someone before going to bed.

I actually have heard people say доброй ночи when saying good bye to someone in the evening when they aren't planning on going to bed.

Спокойной ночи means rather Schlaf gut! It is said upon parting when one presumes that the other is going to bed. Добрый вечер, Добрый день are all greetings. Доброй ночи is synonymic to Спокойной ночи but is slightly less common. Also note that Доброй ночи is Gen. Доброго дня, Доброго вечера would also be used at parting, but they are less common.

Etcetera

Russian, Russia (St Petersburg)
    I actually have heard people say доброй ночи when saying good bye to someone in the evening when they aren't planning on going to bed.
    That's a very good explanation! :thumbsup:
    I've never thought about the actual difference between Спокойной ночи and Доброй ночи before, but Papillon's version seems to be correct.