gooey

Layla82

Italy/italian
Hi!!
This is from the first episode of Grey's Anatomy. I was wondering what gooey mean in this context.
Is this expression used?

CRISTINA (cold): You know what you did a cut throat thing. Deal with it. Don’t come to me for absolution. You wanna be a shark. Be a shark.
MEREDITH: I’m not. I’m …
CRISTINA (interrupts): Oh yes you are. Only it makes you feel bad in all your warm gooey places. (angry) You know screw you. I don’t get picked for surgeries because I slept with my boss and (Meredith looks shocked) I didn’t get into med school because I have a famous mother! You know some of us have to earn what we get.

Thank you!!

• TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    This is figurative, but let's start with "goo".

"Goo" is any substance that is liquid, but thick liquid, like Hair Gel.
    "Gooey" just means "like goo".

"warm gooey places" is a very figurative phrase for
    "your inside organs" "your insides" "inside of you" "your soul" "your guts".

TheNameOfAWind

Italian
    Ciao a tutti, mi trovo davanti a questa frase:

Dave's eye-roll hadn't gone unnoticed. Aidan smirked at him, commiseratively, as in agreement with his goo-gooey father.
    L’alzata d’occhi di Dave non era passata inosservata. Aidan gli rivolse un sorrisetto di compassione, come a dare ragione al suo appiccicoso paparino.

Dave è il padrone di casa, un uomo d'affari repubblicano che non va molto d'accordo con la famiglia della moglie, e in particolare con il cognato, ossia il padre di Aidan (educato, ambientalista, sdolcinato con il figlio).

Il mio dubbio è su come devo interpretare quel goo-gooey. È una variante del termine o lo sta prendendo in giro per la balbuzie? Ad essere precisi il papà di Aidan non balbetta, ma nemma frase precedente Dave dice che gli piaceva provocarlo con battute politicamente scorrette perché he enjoyed watching Jeremy stammer.

Grazie!

meleke

English - USA
    My guess is that "goo-gooey" here is reminiscent of baby talk (we can say "goo goo gah gah" for baby noises). In this case, I think it suggests that Aidan's father is "soft", weak or silly, which I could fits with how a Republican business man might think of a liberal, intellectual environmentalist.

Regarding the stammering, I think it's meant metaphorically here. When Dave tells an un-PC joke, it makes Aidan's father very uncomfortable and unsure of how to respond, rather than making him literally stammer. So no, I don't think goo-gooey is about the stammering.

TheNameOfAWind

Italian
    My guess is that "goo-gooey" here is reminiscent of baby talk (we can say "goo goo gah gah" for baby noises). In this case, I think it suggests that Aidan's father is "soft", weak or silly, which I could fits with how a Republican business man might think of a liberal, intellectual environmentalist.

Regarding the stammering, I think it's meant metaphorically here. When Dave tells an un-PC joke, it makes Aidan's father very uncomfortable and unsure of how to respond, rather than making him literally stammer. So no, I don't think goo-gooey is about the stammering.
    Thank you so much, that's exactly what I thought, but I needed to be sure ;)

< Previous | Next >