GOOPER [acronym]

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
Read on the Internet: (from an article "Questions I'd Like to Ask Jeb Bush"): "Your brother sent as the occupation force to Iraq mostly unemployed GOOPERs with no military experience." My guess is that this refers to Reservists or National Guard, or both. Can anyone confirm, and maybe give the origin of this term, which I suspect may be recent, < --- >

< Second example removed by moderator. >

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Myridon

English - US
    This is from "barry s"'s comment on an article at the Daily Kos. I wonder if it's GOPer (Republican). He also says that diplomat J Paul Bermer (Lewis is his first name) is a GOOPER hack. Bermer wasn't in the military.

Myridon

English - US
    Another post by 'barry s':
    The GOOPERs will try to enact legislation in PA, NC, VA, OH and FL to split the electoral votes by Congressional district.

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    So"...the people who chose to volunteer ([and] were unemployed and had no military experience) at that time" = the ones who "..will try to enact legislation in PA, NC, VA, OH, and FL to split..."? (and do you know where the extra 'O' came from?) - By the way, you're VERY fast!

Myridon

English - US
    According to barry s, the unemployed people who volunteered to serve in that war were mostly Republicans and Republican legislators will try to enact ... The unemployed people are not the legislators. (You suggested the groups are the same with '='.)
    He seem to have a poor opinion of Republicans. Perhaps he wants to suggest that they are goop (slime).

JamesM

I agree with Myridon. It seems to be a disparaging term for Republicans. It's not one that I've heard before.

"Goobers" is a disparaging name used for rural people with little education and presumed lower-than-average intelligence. It may be a spin on that word by combining GOP (Grand Old Party = Republican) and goober.

fiercediva

American English
    The Daily Kos has its own "Kossary", which contains the definition of:

Gooper
    An individual supporting the Republican Party. Often used interchangeably with "Freeper" (see above).

(A "Freeper" is a person who frequents Free Republic, a Tea Party political website, and who frequently trolls other websites offering opposing viewpoints to their own).

< Previous | Next >