"gospel praise song" vs "gospel and praise song"

< Previous | Next >

Sara Lee

Chinese
Is it natural to say that a song which shows praise for god as well as preaches god's gospel is a gospel praise song? Does English native speaker use it in this way? If not, is it appropriate to say this song is a gospel and praise song? if neither "gospel praise song" nor "gospel and praise song" make sense or neither of them are natural, then what's the correct way to describe it? HOW should I describe it?

Last edited:
  • rajulbat

English - United States (Houston)
    Gospel music, by itself, implies praising God, so there is no need to say "gospel praise song," and it would not sound natural. But there is such a thing as a "worship song" (worship ~ praise), and if you were absolutely set on the redundancy I suppose you could say "gospel worship song."

Sara Lee

Chinese
    Gospel music, by itself, implies praising God, so there is no need to say "gospel praise song," and it would not sound natural. But there is such a thing as a "worship song" (worship ~ praise), and if you were absolutely set on the redundancy I suppose you could say "gospel worship song."
    Thank you for your helpful advice~~ many thanks~

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Remember though that gospel music is not just any worship song. It uses particular chord sequences, and the lyrics are generally fairly repetitive. See Wikipedia: Gospel music - Wikipedia

You might want to use a more general label, such as 'worship music' or 'Christian music'.

< Previous | Next >