gospel <preacher><spreader>

< Previous | Next >

mery smith

chinese
hello ,everyone.
i want to know if there is a difference between gospel preacher and gospel spreader.
thank you

• bibliolept

AE, Español
    "Gospel spreader" is not a word I've encountered before, even if "spreading the gospel" (to mean evangelizing) is a common phrase. "Gospel spreader" sounds wholly odd to me.

To say someone is a "gospel preacher" is redundant —though I'm sure people use the phrase nonetheless — in the context of Christian beliefs or the Christian faith: A preacher is presumed to have a biblical basis for his teachings.

A "preacher" might be said to be similar to an evangelist, one who "spreads the gospel." A minister/pastor or other church official may be described as a preacher but does not necessarily have serve a role that would primarily be identified as that of an evangelist.

mery smith

chinese
    thank you very much.
    you mean "Gospel spreader" is not good, and "preacher" is better than "gospel preacher"
    am I right?:)

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I agree with biblio on all points. It might be helpful for you to put the phrase in a sentence. It will then be clear whether it is effective. Can you give us a sentence?

Welcome to the Forum, mery smith! :)

mery smith

chinese
    Ok, I got it. This is my sentence.
    What kind of gospel spreaders are in harmony with God's will?
    In this sentence, which one is better? Gospel preacher or preacher?

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Gospel spreaders sounds unnatural to me. I would go with preachers or evangelists.

I assume you mean people who stand up to address a group of people. If you want to include people spreading the gospel through chatting and befriending people, you might say spreaders of the gospel.

mery smith

chinese
    Gospel spreaders sounds unnatural to me. I would go with preachers or evangelists.

I assume you mean people who stand up to address a group of people. If you want to include people spreading the gospel through chatting and befriending people, you might say spreaders of the gospel.
    I see. Thank you.:)

djmc

English - United Kingdom
    There is normally an assumption that preachers preach the gospel. This is not necessarily the case, it is possible to preach another faith, Buddhism or Mohammedanism for instance.

< Previous | Next >