got a great deal, and my monthly payments are only $450

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
Ron is short of money and asks Nancy to borrow some money to him. She questions him how he spends money and realizes that he is very wasteful. She:
- No wonder you're having money problems. You can't just blow your money on things like that! And what about transportation?
- Oh, I commute to work everyday in my new sports car, but I got a great deal, and my monthly payments are only $450. Come outside and take a look. We can go for a spin!
listening video

Explain, please: got a great deal of what?, and monthly payments for what?
Thank you

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Presumably, he got a great deal (a good price) on his new sports car, and his payments on the loan for his car are $450 a month.

JamesM

I agree with Florentia52. Also, he asks Nancy to lend him some money. He is borrowing it and she is lending it. (It's also common to hear "loaning it" in the U.S. but I prefer lend as the verb.)

seap

English
    In this case, the "deal" refers to a "sale". In other words, Ron is probably paying less for the car than was originally advertised.

EX. Store Clerk: "These pants are 75% off today!"
    Client: "Wow! What a great deal! (What a great sale)"

The monthly payments refer to the sports car.

N.B. We borrow from other people. (Ron wants to borrow money from Nancy)
    But we lend things to people. (Nancy has the option of lending money to Ron)

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Oh, yes, he's borrowing:)
    But, one question:
    he got a great deal (a good price) on his new sports car,
    "A great deal of something" means "a large amount of something", but "a good price" usually means, on the contrary, not large sum of money...:(

crpss-posted with seap

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    In this case, the "deal" refers to a "sale". In other words, Ron is probably paying less for the car than was originally advertised.

EX. Store Clerk: "These pants are 75% off today!"
    Client: "Wow! What a great deal! (What a great sale)"

The monthly payments refer to the sports car.

N.B. We borrow from other people. (Ron wants to borrow money from Nancy)
    But we lend things to people. (Nancy has the option of lending money to Ron)
    That is, "a great deal" here means "a great discount"?

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    But, one question:

"A great deal of something" means "a large amount of something", but "a good price" usually means, on the contrary, not large sum of money...:(
    This is a different usage. To "get a deal" on something means to get a good (lower than expected) price on it. To "get a great deal" means to get an even better (lower) price.

seap

English
    "I don't think I'll be able to watch American Idol because I have a great deal of homework tonight. (a great deal= a lot of). This is one use of "deal". In this sentence, "a great deal" can be replaced with "a lot"

"This sweater was $34, but it's on sale for $20. What a nice deal." (a nice deal= a nice sale)
    In this example, " deal" can be replaced with the word "sale".

N.B. The two examples above are unrelated uses of word deal.

< Previous | Next >