Got a soundtrack in my mind, all the time

cueru

Canada, English
السلام عليكم

I'm trying to translate a line from a song into (modern standard) Arabic for a tattoo on my arm. I am trying to get the phrase to be short enough that the script can be a good size on my arm, without losing much of the original meaning.

In English the quote is:
"[I've] got a soundtrack in my mind, all the time."

In Arabic, I have tried a few different things. The closest to the English (but also longest) is, I think:
لي تسجيل صوتي في عقلي دوماً
"I have a soundtrack in my mind all the time"

But, to shorten it, I also have taken out the "I have" just to read:
في عقلي تسجيل صوتي دوماً
"A soundtrack is in my mind all the time"

Still, however, I may have to end up taking out دوماً to make it fit (so, "A soundtrack is in my mind")...but I thought I'd ask here if I was on the right track, especially since I'm not sure this is the right way to say soundtrack (تسجيل صوتي) and I'm not sure if there might be a more appropriate way of wording this that would fit better.

Thank you very much for any help! !شكراً

• cueru

Canada, English
    Thanks for your reply! I like the idea of using "melody" instead of "sound recording"...it suits it a lot better. I have a question about يخامر though. Does it have a negative connotation? "Haunting" in English does, whereas I'd like a term that's less 'active' I suppose, if that makes any sense.

Thanks again for your help! :)

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    How about لحن لا يفارقني or لا يفارق أذني ? It means that the tune doesn't leave me/leave me ears. You can add أبدًا at the end for "all the time/never".

cueru

Canada, English
    Thanks for the suggestions! I still have a few small concerns, though (sorry if I'm being really picky about this...I just want to make sure the right message gets across before I put something on my skin! :) ). By saying لحن يلازمني, does it mean "one melody never leaves me"? Because I'd like something that means "there's always a melody [not necessarily the same one, but at least one at each moment] with me". Could something like معي لكن دوماً work, or عندي لكن دوماً for this type of meaning?

I really appreciate your help! :)

cueru

Canada, English
    I'd still like some input on this, if anyone would be so willing; I'd greatly appreciate it! Here's another attempt I've come up with:

على بالي لحن دوماً

Also, in the above post, where I said لكن, I meant لحن.

Again, thanks for any help. :)

cueru

Canada, English
    Perhaps even making لحن plural would work better...but I'd still like to find a way of saying something like "Melodies are always in my mind" with a translation that is closer to this meaning. My Arabic prof suggested maybe saying في ذهني for "in my mind" - does this work?

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    No Cueru, sorry. The plural of لحن is ألحان.
    So, you can say it in many ways:
    أسمع ألحانًا طيلة الوقت
    أسمع لحنًا طول الوقت
    Also :
    لحن يخامرني/يلازمني دومًا was a very good suggestion from Djara
    And
    لحن على بالي دومًا

All these are good equivalents. You can choose what you sounds best for you. :)

< Previous | Next >