... got a whisper...

AdrianaPark

Korean
I actually heard this from the “Good Place” drama - "You've got a whisper in your snickerbox".

Tahani’s soul mate has been keeping a vow of silence but broke it due to Eleanor.
Tahani actually wasn’t supposed to hear him and heard him speaking.
When the others at the same place denied her soul mate spoke, Tahani said “You’ve got a whisper in your snickerbox”
I tried to google the meaning of darn 'snickerbox' yesterday all day long but couldn't.
could any one help me? :,(

FYI, the next word Tahani said is this,
"You're both helping Jianyu to regain his confidence to be able to speak again as a surprise for me!"

So, I'm guessing snickerbox is something where you hide ?

Last edited:
  • owlman5

English-US
    I'm not sure, Adriana, but this may be some strange way to say that Tahini or Tahini's soulmate aren't laughing as much as they should be laughing. "Snickerbox" looks like a variation of "gigglebox" to me. This is, I believe, a cutesy way of saying "voice" or perhaps "mouth" or "vocal chords".

Hermione Golightly

British English
    First thought: both Whispers and Snickers are sorts of chocolate/candy bars.
    Whisper is a verb meaning to talk softly while snicker/snigger is a mean way of laughing or a noise made by a horse, one or the other or both.

Second thought: it sounds as if it should mean something and be a well- known (British) phrase something like getting "your knickers in a twist".

It seems this Tahini is supposed to be British so it's a British saying, but the general viewer opinion is that it's either a spoof (joke)or the writer thought it really is a British saying. It seems they have her using British words which mean something else in American English, like 'suspenders', which are braces in AE but a sexy undergarment to keep stockings up in AE.

I don't know what a 'gigglebox' is but the 'snickerbox' would make someone who did know that word, think of gigglebox and try to make the meaning out from that association.
    Without fully grasping the context ( despite your excellent effort) I can't say more. I suspect it's amusing nonsense. :)

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I think it is if it's a deliberate joke on the viewers by the writers. You could have fun on a desert island thinking up ridiculous pretend sayings and expressions.:D
    Actually, I think it might already be a party game.

AdrianaPark

Korean
    First thought: both Whispers and Snickers are sorts of chocolate/candy bars.
    Whisper is a verb meaning to talk softly while snicker/snigger is a mean way of laughing or a noise made by a horse, one or the other or both.

Second thought: it sounds as if it should mean something and be a well- known (British) phrase something like getting "your knickers in a twist".

It seems this Tahini is supposed to be British so it's a British saying, but the general viewer opinion is that it's either a spoof (joke)or the writer thought it really is a British saying. It seems they have her using British words which mean something else in American English, like 'suspenders', which are braces in AE but a sexy undergarment to keep stockings up in AE.

I don't know what a 'gigglebox' is but the 'snickerbox' would make someone who did know that word, think of gigglebox and try to make the meaning out from that association.
    Without fully grasping the context ( despite your excellent effort) I can't say more. I suspect it's amusing nonsense. :)
    Thank you for your detailed explanation.
    I don't grasp what it means though, I vaguely know what it is like. hehe. - "I suspect it's amusing nonsense."

owlman5

English-US
    And you would do well to remember, Adriana, that there isn't any one obviously right or wrong answer about what that strange remark means. All of us have to speculate about the meaning of odd remarks that we haven't read or heard before.

AdrianaPark

Korean
    And you would do well to remember, Adriana, that there isn't any one obviously right or wrong answer about what that strange remark means. All of us have to speculate about the meaning of odd remarks that we haven't read or heard before.
    Okay I will! Thanks for your comment!

Uusseerrnnaammee

English
    It’s not a “whisper”, it’s a “Wispa”. A Wispa is a UK chocolate (candy) bar that is chunky, aerated chocolate. It’s quite plain, compared to a snickers. So this quote, a “Wispa in a Snickers box” is about being an imposter, as a bar is Wispa in a box of Snickers would be...

it’s not at all rude, just about chocolate...

< Previous | Next >