got accepted to

bosun

Banned
korean
Which one is most popular?

1. I went to XX university and majored in XX.
  2. I got admitted to statistisc department of XX university.
  3. I got accepted to XX department of XX university.

• mirx

Banned
    Español

All of them mean different things.

If you mean that you studied something in X university, I wougd go for No. 1.

Regards.

katie_here

England/English
    I think that is hard to choose.

1. I went to XX university and majored in XX. That could have been a year ago.
    2. I got admitted to statistisc department of XX university. That could have been 5 minutes ago.
    3. I got accepted to XX department of XX university. That could be anytime.

Thomas Tompion

English - England

They all have an AE ring to them. In BE we'd be more likely to say:

1. I went to XX University and read X. - probably some time ago. Your studies have finished.
    2. I was accepted at XX University to read statistics. - probably some time ago, but your studies may be still in course.
    3. I was accepted to the Statistics Department of XX University. - probably as a lecturer. This may have been some time ago. You may be still there, or you may have left.

I don't think we could say any of your sentences naturally in BE. I certainly couldn't.

mirx

Banned
    Español
    They all have an AE ring to them. In BE we'd be more likely to say:

1. I went to XX University and read X. - probably some time ago. Your studies have finished.
    2. I was accepted at XX University to read statistics. - probably some time ago, but your studies may be still in course.
    3. I was accepted to the Statistics Department of XX University. - probably as a lecturer. This may have been some time ago. You may be still there, or you may have left.

I don't think we could say any of your sentences naturally in BE. I certainly couldn't.
    What do you mean?

So supposed you are a doctor (medicine) and I asked you where you studied. What would your answer be?

katie_here

England/English
    My answer would be

"I did my medical training at the Salford Royal Teaching Hospitals".

or "I did my Undergraduate Training at Sheffield University".

mirx

Banned
    Español
    I'd say something like I did my preclinical studies at St John's, Cambridge, and my clinical studies at University College Hospital, London, and qualified in 1967. like this person.
    Great.

I'd choose that option if I were being interviewed by the press or had to make a public statement, but then again, that's just me.

Elwintee

England English
    I'm surprised none of the other posts have pointed out that one does not get 'accepted to' anywhere, but is 'accepted by' the department or whatever.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Hi there

You could also say "I studied medicine at XX University", which everyone should understand!
    A point worth mentioning, I thought, was that student medics usually divide their studies into preclinical and clinical work, like that person, whose was the first description I came across on the web. After all the work is often done at different universities or hospitals.

< Previous | Next >