got fire

• sdgraham

USA English
    It doesn't sound like any natural English I've heard.

It sounds more like a non-idiomatic translation from another language, e.g. German.

sanspacey

Brazil Portuguese
    Yes, I'm afraid I already knew it, I was just hoping it had magically changed, I suppose, I needed it to be possible heehee. How stupid is that? Thank you so much.

preppie

American English (Mostly MidAtlantic)
    Context would be helpful. As an ex-smoker, I have had the occasion to have a cigarette but no means of igniting it. I have said all sorts of things to friends: Do you have a match, a light, a flame, fire, two sticks (which when rubbed together would make a fire). With people other than my friends I would stay close to light or match.

shiningstar

turkish
    Hello!

Can I ask "have you got fire" meaning "do you have a lighter"?
    Thanks.
    Sanspacey, your question "have you got fire" remind me an incident occured to my friend a couple years ago. He was a new immigrant in US with a poor English at that time. One day while he was in a supermarket buying stuff for his home he remembered that he need a "lighter". He looked around awhile to locate where they are sold. When he couldn't find where they are he approached the seller and said "you have a fire?". Not surprisingly the seller startled and looked at him with obvious panic: "Fire! Oh my god, where?" and rushed to the manager. Somehow they understood that there wasn't any fire and it was just a misuse of word "fire".
    I'm not a good storyteller but I think you got the idea. :)

Last edited:

sanspacey

Brazil Portuguese
    First of all thank you so much everyone who replied. Funny story, Shiningstar, since it ended well ;).

Se16teddy's remark got the closest of them all to the meaning I was hoping to get. The situation is: suppose this somebody really attractive asks you for a lighter, if it was okay for him/her to use "have you got fire" that would give you the opportunity to respond in some "spicy" way, which I was hoping to be possible just for the sake of a joke I came up with and, you know, tiny issues like this can bring up a dozen grammar doubts to this head of mine, I guess it is too much thinking for too little knowledge heehee. Thanks again. I hope one day I'll be able to say I can speak English.

< Previous | Next >