got in the bubbly

Manuel O

portuguese
Hello!
I'm reading some letters by Samuel Beckett where he discusses one of his plays («Happy Days»), and came across an expression I can't understand (English is not my native language): «got in the bubbly».

Here's the full passage: «... have been working on the new play, and hope to start typing definitive text next week ... You could go on labouring for ever on these things, but the time comes when you have to let them go. You won't find much difference from the script you read - got in the bubbly in both acts and think the song will be the Valse Duet from the Merry Widow.

Will someone please help me with that «got in the bubbly»? Thanks a lot.

• Manuel O

portuguese
    well, thanks, but I don't think there's any champagne involved here... have you read the whole excerpt? are you just kidding?

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Welcome to the forum, Manuel. :)

Wandle isn't kidding. "Bubbly" as a noun (which it obviously is here) is a well-known English reference to champagne; I'm not familiar with any other meaning. Perhaps Beckett meant that he had been drinking champagne while writing both acts?

Loob

English UK
    Hello Manuel O

Like wandle, I would expect "got in the bubbly" here to mean "inserted [a reference to] the champagne".

I haven't been able to find the script of Happy Days, but various google hits appear to indicate that there are references to champagne in the play:).

(cross-posted with Parla)

< Previous | Next >