got our flirt on

< Previous | Next >

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
Jake describes a moment when he came across a girl:
-- It was at that point that I bumped into a girl dressed as a sexy robot, and we got our flirt on... Hard.
Brooklyn Nine-Nine, TV series

What does "get on" mean here? Thank you.

• The Newt

English - US
    "To get one's flirt on" means, roughly, to act in a demonstratively flirty manner. It's a fairly current slang expression, with a number of variations.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    "To get one's flirt on" means, roughly, to act in a demonstratively flirty manner. It's a fairly current slang expression, with a number of variations.
    One question -- do I correctly understand the "get ... on" here has a meaning similar to "put .... on" in these:
    Sheila’s not really that upset; she’s just putting it on.
    Leaving the court, the families all tried to put on a brave face.

The Newt

English - US
    One question -- do I correctly understand the "get ... on" here has a meaning similar to "put .... on" in these:
    Sheila’s not really that upset; she’s just putting it on.
    Leaving the court, the families all tried to put on a brave face.
    It's a little different. There are a number of expressions with the same pattern — get your groove on, get your funk on — that derive from African-American slang. They all imply some kind of performance in which you display your abilities or style to others. It's hard to explain the syntax.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I understand it to mean to get something going or started.
    It's not my vernacular but here's how I might use it. My grandma was an old witch but a very rich one of that species, so of course when I went to see her I got my most charming leave-all-your-money-to-me act on.

Delvo

American English
    "Put on" would mean faking, pretending.

"Get your __ on" means doing something with enthusiasm & intensity. (Of course, it can be dishonest depending on what you fill in the blank with, like "get my act on" or "get my lie on", but it would still mean acting/lying with enthusiasm & intensity.)

< Previous | Next >