'got over'

Cellardoor007

English UK
Hello

My friend (whose native tongue is not english) said, 'my lecture has just got over'

I explained that this was not correct gramatically but i could not give a proper reason.

Can anybody explain the reason apart from it not sounding correct.

Thanks in advance

• Nymeria

English - Barbadian/British/educated in US universities blend
    I have heard "My lecture has just got over" quite often to mean that a lecture has just ended. This is usually in an American context among young college students.

I've also heard it in other situations such as, "I'm leaving the cinema now cause the movie just got over" or "Dinner just got over and now we're going to watch some TV".

got over = reached the state of being completed

Although it may be ungrammatical, it's certainly not rare and I would have no trouble at all understanding it.

Harry Batt

USA English
    I concur with Nymeria, but for this reason. The response, "has just got over," is to the question, "Is the movie over yet?" or is anything over such as "They've laid off the entire department. "Does this mean that my career with the company is over." Reply: "You're right. Your career just got over."

KHS

Interesting. AmE speaker though I am, I would never have used that construction (or thought that others would) to express the idea of finished. I will have to pay more attention to conversations around me and see if it surfaces.

Cellardoor007

English UK
    Thanks for all your responses.

The point is not that I don't understand what he said. I wanted to know the grammatical reasoning behind it not being the correct answer.

Cellardoor007

English UK
    grammatically "my lecture just got over" is right. let us analyze it. #

i cant remember the name but a famous professor of english in oxford says that for
    something to be grammatically correct it should follow the rules of grammar.

a phrasal verb is defined as a verb and a preposition put together to mean something which is the meaning of either the verb or the preposition making it. so "just got over" is correct grammatically.

Meanings
    one of the meanings is to reach a particular condition or stage and the meaning of "over" is completed or finished. get is a verb and over a preposition. so grammatically you can make a phrase by putting get and over together. now put the meanings of get and over together.

"reach a stage" (get) and "finished" (over).

in other words it means to reach a finished state or simply finish. so grammatically it is absolutely right unless there is a rule which i am not aware of.

sound shift

English - England
    Yes, this "got over" has the form of a phrasal verb, but your friend needs to understand that you can't just put any preposition with any verb and expect to be understood; the number of phrasal verbs is finite.

< Previous | Next >