got shopping vouchers wholesale

JJJenifer

Taiwan/Chinese
Hi, everyone,

I learned from a dictionary that wholesale also means " without discrimination".
But almost none of the examples I found in the dictionaries are not happy ones.

So I want to make a happy sentence with "wholesale", could you please tell me is it idiomatic?

The citizens got shopping vouchers wholesale.

I want to say all citizens, no matter babies or the elderly, men or women, all got the vouchers.

Thank you in advance.
Jennifer

• Glenfarclas

English (American)
    I learned from a dictionary that wholesale also means " without discrimination".
    Sorry, but that's a terrible definition.

So I want to make a happy sentence with "wholesale", could you please tell me is it idiomatic?

The citizens got shopping vouchers wholesale.

I want to say all citizens, no matter babies or the elderly, men or women, all got the vouchers.
    No, "wholesale" isn't used that way. We sometimes talk about things like "wholesale destruction" or "wholesale layoffs" to refer to something that happens indiscriminately and on a large scale, but that's about the limit of this sense of the word. As Edinburgher says, we don't use it to talk about the absence of literal discrimination on the basis of age, sex, race, etc.

JJJenifer

Taiwan/Chinese
    Thank you, all.

Maybe I should give another explanation and try.
    What if I just want to say "everyone, no matter they are rich or not".
    This shopping vouchers are given to encourage people to spend money.

With this background, does the sentence make better sense?

Myridon

English - US
    No. Your sentence will still mean "The citizens got shopping vouchers at a wholesale price rather than a retail price."

JJJenifer

Taiwan/Chinese
    Thank you, Myridon.

Please let me change something including the order of the words to see if I can prevent
    the misunderstanding.

The shopping vouchers are going to be given citizens wholesale.

Is it better now?

Packard

USA, English
    "Wholesale" can be used as the opposite of "strategic".

Management made a strategic reduction in staffing. Everyone is working harder, but at least the work is getting done.

Management made a wholesale reduction in staffing. Many of the essential personnel were let go, and much of the work is not getting done, and what is getting done is of much lower quality than before.

JJJenifer

Taiwan/Chinese
    Thank you, Packard.

I think my sentence also reflects " the opposite of strategic"..
    In my opinion, shopping vouchers should be given only to
    people who have got lower salaries or unemployed people.

With the explanation above, doesn't my sentence make better sense?

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    As others have explained, JJJenifer, your use of "wholesale" in the context of shopping will be presumed to have the meaning Myridon explained in #5.

You may, of course, choose to use the confusing word, and then follow up by explaining what you want the sentence to mean, as you've done here, but if your goal is clear and effective communication, you would do better to choose a different word o phrase.

Packard

USA, English
    As others have explained, JJJenifer, your use of "wholesale" in the context of shopping will be presumed to have the meaning Myridon explained in #5.

You may, of course, choose to use the confusing word, and then follow up by explaining what you want the sentence to mean, as you've done here, but if your goal is clear and effective communication, you would do better to choose a different word o phrase.
    I agree. Rephrasing would be required to give the meaning of "opposite of strategic".

The wholesale distribution of shopping vouchers without any required income qualifications struck many as ill-conceived.

JJJenifer

Taiwan/Chinese
    Thank you, Florentia52, Packard,

Yes, you are right. Actually I totally agree with you.
    However, here, I cared more about if I could use "wholesale" in a happy situation.

Maybe I have chosen a bad example.
    I should have chosen something nothing associated with a real and concrete thing..
    For example:
    The chance to become a general is given to soldiers wholesale.

Is this time "wholesale" better used?

Myridon

English - US
    And I still don't know what you mean by "happy".
    The desired sense of "wholesale" is usually found in "wholesale slaughter" or Packard's "wholesale reduction in staff." Unhappy, negative events. The word seems to have what we usually call "a negative connotation."
    Can you think of a positive thing (or, at least, a neutral thing) which would work as "a wholesale X" in the same sense? I can't.

Packard

USA, English
    The desired sense of "wholesale" is usually found in "wholesale slaughter" or Packard's "wholesale reduction in staff." Unhappy, negative events. The word seems to have what we usually call "a negative connotation."
    Can you think of a positive thing (or, at least, a neutral thing) which would work as "a wholesale X" in the same sense? I can't.
    And "strategic" even when applied to negative events (like workforce reduction) has a positive connotation.

Myridon

English - US
    And "strategic" even when applied to negative events (like workforce reduction) has a positive connotation.
    I don't really go along with your "anti-strategic" idea. A wholesale reduction in force is only not strategic if you interpret it very literally - a reduction that might randomly include the president would be anti-strategic, but I'm sure that's not really what is meant. A wholesale reduction in force is "a very large reduction in force across the company" but not a totally random one done with no thought.

JJJenifer

Taiwan/Chinese
    Thank you, Edinburgher, Myridon and Packard,

I've got that "wholsale" has negative connoation and is used in very limited situation.
    So a negative sentence like " Students get punished wholesale even just only one breaks the rules." doesn't work, either.
    Am I right?

< Previous | Next >