gouge away

Garbonzia

French
this comes from a song called Gouge Away by the Pixies.
it refers to the biblical story of Samson
I know that Gouge means Gouge in french
But the use of Away is obscure to me.

"gouge away
you can gouge away
stay all day
if you want to"

can you help me please?

• CARNESECCHI

French / France
    hello,
    The only think I can imagine : As "to gouge" means "to cut out as if with a gouge", couldn't it be "move away, completely, dont let anything, cut your existence away from here" ?

CARNESECCHI

French / France
    hello,
    It's not exactly what I mean : it's "gouge" that gives me the idea of "remove, cut neatly", "away" adds to the idea of removal, "remove everything as if with a gouge and get lost!"

And after it's "stay all day if you want to" : I understand "or stay, I don't care"

edwingill

England English
    away after a verb means the action is continuous or intense. if it's the story about Samson gouge implies arracher les yeux

CARNESECCHI

French / France
    Garbonzia said:
    so, "gouge away" could be translated by "arrache les yeux"?

Yes! sorry, I did not look at the rest of the lyrics, now I understand that it's Samson's story (stroke my locks, I break the walls)

Aupick

UK, English
    When 'away' is used with imperatives, it usually adds a sense of invitation, and so means 'don't hesitate', 'feel free to...', as in the following:

A: Can I bother you for a minute? I have a few questions...
    B: Sure. Ask away!
    or
    B: Sure. Fire away!

That's the sense that I understand in 'Gouge away': 'don't hesitate to gouge my eyes out', 'feel free to gouge my eyes out', or 'gouge to your heart's content', as edwingill says. The sense of invitation is picked up in the next line: 'you can stay all day if you want to'. It also fits in with the irony and bathos that are so characteristic of the Pixies' lyrics.

Yotun

French
    this comes from a song called Gouge Away by the Pixies.
    it refers to the biblical story of Samson
    I know that Gouge means Gouge in french
    But the use of Away is obscure to me.

"gouge away
    you can gouge away
    stay all day
    if you want to"

can you help me please?

This subject is quite old, but the right translation of goue away in this song is not quite polite, a correct and more polite way to translate is "Va te faire voir"

Best regards

SrCaronte

Spanish
    Hi! I'm pretty sure we can't translate 'Gouge' here without paying attention to the rest of the song meaning. As it's said in Urban Dictionary, Gouge in slang means: "to be high, drugged, stoned". I agree the "away" part here is kind of an ironic invitation. All the song is a metaphor about the use of heroin in a critical way. The autor Frank Black has always been against drugs use and all his songs are always metaphoricals, not to be taking literally. Some verses are cristal clear about that issue:
    Gouge away (meaning: ok, get high in an ironic way).
    You can gouge away
    Stay all day (if you use heroin, you can't do anything the rest of the day because of the effects os this substance).
    If you want to.
    Sleeping on your belly: to be sleepy is a main effect of heroin.
    You break my arms: Addicts inject it usually on their arms.
    You spoon my eyes: they use spoons to dissolve the dose.

The section about de Samson myth been chained on a pilar symbolizes to be forced to stop doing drugs and the destruction afterwards "I break the walls", etc. is the life of the user after having a relapse, being self-destructive and hurting others (family, friends...). Is very important here the verse "I kill US all": the addict destroys himself, but also the people surrounded him.

Or at least, that's my interpretation.

So gouge away means: "ok, go ahead, get high" (whit heroin in this case).

I hope this helps. Greetings!

Last edited:

scintillano

Mute
    Hi! I'm pretty sure we can't translate 'Gouge' here without paying attention to the rest of the song meaning. As it's said in Urban Dictionary, Gouge in slang means: "to be high, drugged, stoned". I agree the "away" part here is kind of an ironic invitation. All the song is a metaphor about the use of heroin in a critical way. The autor Frank Black has always been against drugs use and all his songs are always metaphoricals, not to be taking literally. Some verses are cristal clear about that issue:
    Gouge away (meaning: ok, get high in an ironic way).
    You can gouge away
    Stay all day (if you use heroin, you can't do anything the rest of the day because of the effects os this substance).
    If you want to.
    Sleeping on your belly: to be sleepy is a main effect of heroin.
    You break my arms: Addicts inject it usually on their arms.
    You spoon my eyes: they use spoons to dissolve the dose.

The section about de Samson myth been chained on a pilar symbolizes to be forced to stop doing drugs and the destruction afterwards "I break the walls", etc. is the life of the user after having a relapse, being self-destructive and hurting others (family, friends...). Is very important here the verse "I kill US all": the addict destroys himself, but also the people surrounded him.

Or at least, that's my interpretation.

So gouge away means: "ok, go ahead, get high" (whit heroin in this case).

I hope this helps. Greetings!
    Thank you, your answer is very clear and helpful

Manmower

Norwegian
    Ive always though the best meaning for gouge away was "have at it".. Like "have at it, I dont care"