govern yourself

anwo

Polish
Does this phrase exist:
GOVERN YOURSELF

Could you tell me its meaning?
By using this phrase I'd like to say "I can run my business"; "I have a right to do whatever I want" Can I say "I can govern myself"?

This is an urgent issue, please reply :)

• Matching Mole

England, English
    Govern, when referring to persons, generally means to administer as in a government. More generally it can mean control or limit. Neither sense give the impression that you want. In any case, you aren't governing yourself, you are "governing" your business, and we don't usually speak of governing businesses when we mean to run them.

A little more context would help, but in the light of "I have a right to do whatever I want", do you mean this as a retort?, I think, in this case, I would stick to something like your original statement, perhaps adding "own": "I can run my own business". In a clearer context:
    "Thanks for your advice, but I'm able to run my own business."

preppie

American English (Mostly MidAtlantic)
    The expression "govern yourself/selves (accordingly)" is generally used as a synonymous phrase for 'behave yourself (accordingly)". This means: act in a manner that is appropriate for the situation. I don't think it fits what you were looking for. (and behave yourself, when said to adults, would sound pretty demeaning).

Kaz Vorpal

English
    Does this phrase exist:
    GOVERN YOURSELF

Could you tell me its meaning?
    By using this phrase I'd like to say "I can run my business"; "I have a right to do whatever I want" Can I say "I can govern myself"?

This is an urgent issue, please reply :)
    I know the post is years old, but the responses were wrong.

Actually, you can very much say "govern yourself", or "regulate yourself", meaning "I have a right to choose what I want, for myself".

< Previous | Next >