governance/economic infrastructure mean??

< Previous | Next >

Camlearner

Khmer
Hi,

I used to study from class that the word infrastructure is about roads, bridges, water system etc.. But I also notices people speak governance infrastructure and economic infrastructure.. I check my dictionaries.. they still explain roads, bridges,... so I think people speak about it by comparing it to road, bridges.. that help governance and national economy? or are they refer to some special meaning?

Thnak you.

• owlman5

English-US
    A "governance infrastructure" is an infrastructure that helps people govern. An "economic infrastructure" is an infrastructure that benefits the economy and helps people to trade goods and services efficiently. I think in both cases the terms refer to basic communications and transportation improvements that help people govern and trade.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    "the basic structure or features of a system or organization"

The dictionaries will use that example (bridges etc) as a common one but the WordReference dictionary meaning #2 (above) shows the more general meaning (infra is a prefix meaning "below") so these are the "basic structures" of systems of governance or economy.

< Previous | Next >