GPS altitude units

Baltic Sea

Banned
Polish
Hello again!

As I am not at all familiar with GPS technology, I won't even try telling you how I understand the sentence below. I haven't a clue.

The sentence is as follows:

"GPS ALTITUDE UNITS" - Sets the altitude of GPS antenna on the medium sea level unit among the available units.

I'd like to add that the manual has been reportedly in Italy.

• Fabulist

Banned
    American English
    This looks like a bad translation, or something written by a non-native speaker. The usual term for sea level that I have seen is mean sea level. Because of tides, the actual sea level at any one point may vary, sometimes by a lot. The mean sea level is the average sea level, about halfway between the sea level at high tide and the sea level at low tide.

The rest of the instruction seems to be saying that when you select this function you may select what unit of measurement altitude will be reported in. Since they mention "available units," you should get a menu. I'll be that it only includes feet and meters. In the non-metric system used in the U.S., ocean depths are sometimes given in fathoms, but for altitudes I have never seen anything other than feet; it would be bizarre to report altitudes in yards, say. And it would be equally bizarre to report them in centimeters or kilometers.

So you can tell your GPS whether you want altitudes in feet or meters.

Baltic Sea

Banned
    Polish
    Thank you, Fabulist, but I would like to ask you to help me write the said sentence as clearly and simply as possible.

Fabulist

Banned
    American English
    I see that I misinterpreted the original. It's not about setting the reporting units, it's about telling the unit what units you are going to use to enter your current altitude. Presumably, you will have to find a survey point whose mean altitude above sea level has been determined carefully and accurately. In any case, it's "mean sea level" that you need as your reference point.

I don't think I can rewrite the instruction for you because I don't know how the unit works. It looks like there are two things to do: (1) Specify the units (feet or meters) in which you are going to be entering an altitude. (2) Enter the altitude.

Baltic Sea

Banned
    Polish
    You didn't misinterpret the original. Thank you, Fabulist, for your efforts. I do appreciate your contribition and patience.

< Previous | Next >