Grabbing on themselves

majdak

Czech
Hello,

I would like to understand the meaning of this expression, used in a movie in a sentence:
"Why are boys always grabbing on themselves?"
The context is - a girl walking in the streets of Harlem passes a group of youngsters (probably drug addicted), who start to harrass her (saying e.g.: Let me get some of that sweet ass), first verbally, then physically.
The underlined sentence can be heard in the film as the girl's reaction, her inner voice.

Thank you very much for your help...

• majdak

Czech
    Are the boys grabbing their crotches as they talk to the girls? That would be my assumption. It's an action you can see all the time in most rap videos.
    I can't see this... I thought there might be an idiomatic sense in this expression.

majdak

Czech
    By "I can't see this", do you mean that you can't see what the boys are doing or that you can't imagine that the sentence means what I assume it means?
    I am sorry for my unclear English... I cannot see this on the screen. Actually, the camera shows the boys, but there is no such gesture.
    Otherwise, I completely agree that this might be the meaning, it's just that this gesture is not shown in the film.

JamesM

Just for some anecdotal evidence that the phrase is used with that meaning, here is a comment on a web page:

I don’t understand the whole guy scratching/grabbing on themselves all the time. Do you men forget they are there or is it a comfort thing?? Seriously ppl do not see me walking around with my hand on my crotch or hanging on to my tits like it is no big deal.
    (I have to say that I don't get it, either.)

Last edited:

majdak

Czech
    Thank you all, I tried again to google it and your explanation seems very likely.
    JamesM, thanks for the funny example :)
    majdak

< Previous | Next >