< Previous | Next >

KaraST

Spanish - Spain
Hi everyone! I want to translate this spanish phrase:

"Gracias a la bibliografía obtenida..."

My guess:

"Thanks to the bibliography obtained" or "Thanks to obtained bibliography"

I'm not sure if it would be THANKS TO + NOUN +VERB or THANKS TO + VERB +NOUN

Also in this phrase i'm not sure if it would be better to use "becouse of".

Thanks a lot for your help guys.

Nota de moderadora
Título cambiado para incluir la frase original.
Bevj

Last edited by a moderator:
  • KaraST

Spanish - Spain
    Hi ^^

The complete original sentence is:

"Gracias a la bibliografía obtenida se han podido comparar todas las posibilidades"

Thanks

KaraST

Spanish - Spain
    I'm writing an essay on an archaeological piece and dating techniques. So I need to say that I made a bibliography review . So with it I can compare all the techniques.

"Gracias a la bibliografía obtenida se han podido comparar todas las posibilidades"

KaraST

Spanish - Spain
    So it will be:

""Thanks to the compiled bibliography..." ???

It sounds great for my spanish ears hahahaha. Thanks

SevenDays

Spanish
    Hi everyone! I want to translate this spanish phrase:

"Gracias a la bibliografía obtenida..."

My guess:

"Thanks to the bibliography obtained" or "Thanks to obtained bibliography"

I'm not sure if it would be THANKS TO + NOUN +VERB or THANKS TO + VERB +NOUN

Also in this phrase i'm not sure if it would be better to use "becouse of".

Thanks a lot for your help guys.

Nota de moderadora
    Título cambiado para incluir la frase original.
    Bevj
    This is one case where Spanish and English work the same. Would you say?

Gracias a bibliografía obtenida

Not really, or at least it's not what's most natural; "bibliografía obtenida" and "bibliography obtained" look incomplete. Syntax explains it this way: gracias a and thanks to are complex prepositions, and they take a noun phrase as complement. And as far as syntax is concerned, a "noun phrase" includes the definite article:

Gracias a la bibliografía obtenida
    Thanks to the bibliography obtained

Now, both of these come from larger structures, where a relative clause was reduced:

Gracias a la bibliografía que fue obtenida
    Thanks to the bibliography that was obtained

which is how the participle "obtenida/obtained" moves higher to appear next to "bibliografía/bibliography." Now, in many cases, the participle can then be placed before the noun to function as modifier, as in "the house that was rented ----> the rented house," but this doesn't always work. So, the question becomes if this does:

Gracias a la obtenida bibliografía
    Thanks to the obtained bibliography

this looks forced to me, and not entirely natural, but this may be highly subjective on my part. In any event, "bibliografía obtenida/bibliography obtained" seems the safest choice to me.

Interestingly, 'thanks to the compiled bibliography" sounds better to me, perhaps because "compile" is how you put together bibliographies.

Now, are these interchangeable

thanks to
    because of

They are both complex prepositions, and they both take noun phrases as complement. If there is any difference, it has to do with semantics. Thanks to is entirely positive in nature, with the writer as an active participant; because of begins to sound more "neutral" and kind of independent of the writer. But semantics is in the eye of the beholder, and for some they may be interchangeable.

Forero

I'm writing an essay on an archaeological piece and dating techniques. So I need to say that I made a bibliography review . So with it I can compare all the techniques.

Unfortunately, "made a bibliography review" does not sound natural and I don't know what you really mean.
    I'd say "compiled" :)
    "Compiled" works:

Thanks to the bibliography I compiled, I was able to compare all the possibilities.:tick:
    Thanks to the bibliography I had compiled, I was able to compare all the possibilities.:tick:
    Thanks to the compiled bibliography, I was able to compare all the possibilities.:tick:
    Thanks to the bibliography compiled the night before, I was able to compare all the possibilities.:tick:

I still don't know if this is the intended meaning, but at least these sentences sound natural.

Nomenclature

English - Canada
    I don't really like "compiled". It doesn't sound good in my opinion. Another thing to consider is that "Thanks to..." is borderline informal in English, whereas "Gracias a..." can be used less controversially in an academic paper like this.

"With the works referenced herein, a comparison of all the possibilities has been able to be carried out."

< Previous | Next >