grading systems in other countries

maxiogee

Banned
imithe
I'd also point out that a higher minimum pass percentage doesn't really mean anything, tests are supposed to be designed so that the majority of students get the "average" mark aren't they?
You're letting your grasp of maths get the better of your thinking, curly.

The majority will get the average by definition. The average is what you get when you divide the total of the grades achieved by the numbers achieving them.

• Reina140

Banned
    USA--English
    Interesting... Public or private, can I ask? My school was straight up 100-90 A 89-80 B 79-70 C 69-60 D 59- F...
    I went to a public school. I live in Pennsylvania and a lot of schools surrounding the area were also very strict. The more inner city schools were more lax.

Thomsen

English USA
    I went to a public school. I live in Pennsylvania and a lot of schools surrounding the area were also very strict. The more inner city schools were more lax.
    Cool. Well I went to public school in NJ and I guess we didn't pick up on the trend.

I guess it should be noted that such things are usually the responbility of local school disctricts which follow generally similiar but not identical formats.

curly

English - Ireland
    You're letting your grasp of maths get the better of your thinking, curly.

The majority will get the average by definition. The average is what you get when you divide the total of the grades achieved by the numbers achieving them.
    True, but when I put the word average in quotation marks I mean whatever grade is accepted as average, the tests here will be designed so that most people get a C, around 55%- 69%, it's usally accepted that a test is too hard or too easy if the majority of scores fall below or above the preset average mark. I just completed a test where the preset average mark was 95%, It wasn't strict at all because the test was an easy one that most people aced. (it wasn't of course a state exam, just a little class exam).

I'm just saying that comparing percentages doesn't really mean anything between different tests.

Venezuelan_sweetie

Venezuela --> Spanish -or something alik
    Oh boy, now I'm feeling old...

In my days, the grading system was like this:
    20: Excelente ("excellent", and the teacher -even University prof.-, would add "!!")
    19-18: Sobresaliente (outstanding)
    17: Distinguido (beyond the average)
    16: Muy bien (very good)
    15: Bien (good)
    14-10: Regular (fair)
    09-05: Insuficiente (insufficient)
    04-01: Aplazado (failing)

People would refer to their marks saying "I got a 15", "and I got a 12", "Really? I flunked!!". I (with my anti-maths attitude, just to poke on other people's eyes) would say: "I got 6", which would be followed by a deadly silence. "How come? -would say a corageous one-, you've always been such a good student!" And I'd answer: "That's right, I got 6 decent marks: two distinguido's, one 'sobresaliente', two 'muy bien' and one 'excelente' ". They would always ask: "You got what?!" :p

Especially at High School, virtually nobody would get a 17 mark, especially at Physics, Maths or Chemistry (we used to call them "las tres Marías", the three ones that most people had trouble with). Oh, and languages were also troublesome.

In Venezuela, school programs date back to the Ice Ages, I'm sure. And most teachers sucked all the way! (Maybe that's why down here, I'm a language instructor, not a teacher! :p ) Needless to say, Venezuelan school system is terrible and does not work at all.

At University, the system would vary, depending on the institution. Some of them use percentages, some others a 1-10 scale (which in the end is just the same), and a minority still uses a 0-20 scale. Mine, used the latter.

Recently (4 or 5 years ago, I think) the grading system was modified to suit the ABCDF system. I'm not sure how it works, but if I find out, I'll let you guys know ;)

Lavinia.dNP

Sicilian with Italian-French mothertongue
    In Italy we have 4 different scorings : one for elementary, college and high school which is on 10, one for the high school diplome only which is on 60, one for the university exams which is on 30, and the last one, for the university diplome only, which is on 110

at school :
    10 e lode = means better than the teacher himself : impossible to get
    10/10 = means more than perfect, you never get it
    9/10 = means perfect, only the "geekest" geeks get it
    8/10 = means outstanding; human beings can achieve it if they study very hard
    7/10 = means very good, you did more than just the minimum to pass
    6/10 = means average, minimum pass mark
    5/10 = means that you fail, but if you study a little bit more, next time you can pass
    4/10 = means that you are way below pass mark, and that you need to work very hard if you want to pass
    3/10 = means that you are a complete ignorant, and you don't make any effort to even try and pass
    0 to 2 = is given to those who refuse to answer or behave very badly

for the high school diplome :

60/60 = you'll probably get the Nobel prize later on
    54/60 = perfect
    48/60 = great
    42/60 = good
    36/60 = minimum pass mark
    below 36 = you fail

For university :

30 e lode = you are better than the teacher himself
    30/30 = perfect
    27/30 = outstanding
    24/30 = very good
    21/30 = good
    18/30 = minimum pass mark
    below 18 = you fail

note that in Italian universities you can refuse a score and try the exam again in the next exam session in order to have a better average, which will give you a better starting point for the final graduation exam.

For the final graduation exam :

The final exam score depends mostly on the average of all the exams you did in the 5 years of university : the maximum you can add to the average if you do an outstanding final exam is 7 points.
    This exam consists in the presentation of a graduation thesis you worked on during the last year, supervised by your supervising professor.
    During this exam, you sit in front of a board of professors who have read your thesis in the previous days and ask you questions about it.

110 e lode = you are better than the professor himself
    110/110 = you are a genius
    99/110 = outstanding
    88/110 = very good
    77/110 = good
    66/110 = minimum pass mark
    below 66 = impossible since you need to have passed all your exams and the average of all your exams is the base to which your graduation exam can only add points

I graduated in an interpreting school with the score of 110 e lode, but I'm not normal, I'm affected by severe "interpretitis"

Finland:

There are currently (at least) three systems in use in Finland: one for comprehensive school and secondary education, one for matriculation examinations and one for universities.

The best-known grade system is the one used in comprehensive schools and facilities of secondary education. The grades are:

10: erinomainen (=excellent)
    9: kiitettävä (=very good, lit. praiseworthy)
    8: hyvä (=good)
    7: tyydyttävä (=satisfactory)
    6: kohtalainen (=fair)
    5: välttävä (=passable)
    4: heikko or hylätty (=weak or failed)

The second one is used in matriculation examination results. The examinations are held in the end of upper secondary school (or gymnasium, in Finnish: lukio). In principle, taking the matriculation exam is not mandatory, and one can pass gymnasium without it. In practice, however, without taking it one may have a hard time applying for further educational facilities, such as universities. The grades used in the exam evaluation:

L: Laudatur (the best)
    E: Eximia cum laude approbatur
    M: Magna cum laude approbatur
    C: Cum laude approbatur
    B: Lubenter approbatur
    A: Approbatur
    I: Improbatur (fail)
    (I don't remember the translations, since the grade names are in Latin)

I have little knowledge of the system in university, but the grades are as follows:

5 (the best)
    1 (the worst)

Lugubert

Would that I knew all the current Swedish systems.

I think there's no grading until grade 7 or 8 to 9. Nowadays, I think they are at No pass, Pass, Good pass, and Very good pass. (My translations.) I just have to tell you that one of my nieces scored MVG (Very good) in all subjects, from French through Maths to Phys Ed.

In my days, there were coefficients applied when applying for university. For example, for U of Tech, Maths was multiplied by 4, and languages by 0.5 or 0.25. Religion and subjects like music were almost ignored, if I remember correctly.

When I was at the U of Technology, we had passing grades 3, 4 and 5. Theoretically, there were 6's and 7's if you took additional courses.

University used translations of the Latin system, like Approbatur, Non sine laude approbatur (Pass, Pass not without praise) etc. They were translated into Swedish as "Ett betyg" (one (degree of ) report) etc. You got a 1 for one successful semester (6 months), 1.5 "Etta med spets" (A 'one' with an edge?) etc. Nowadays, it's 20 Swedish credit points per passing semester, possibly with a VG (the superiour grade, like 'well done', but not with an additional numeral value), corspomnding to 30 EU credits, I think.

We're just too blunt compared to the system in India where it seems that almost decimals count on the high school scale from 0 to 100 when calculating the 'cut-off point' for university entrance. Info on India welcomed!

Algue

Russian, Russia
    Hello!

In Russia we have the following system:

5 "otlichno" (excellent)
    4 "horosho" (good)
    3 "udovletvoritelno" (satisfactory)
    2 "neudovletvoritelno" (unsatisfactory)

1 exists, but is used only to mark an absence of a homework or a bad behaviour (a teacher can put 2 either)

Besides, some years ago there was a tendency to put also halves. For example, 4.5 or 3.5. But I'm not sure it was around all Russia and it wasn't very official (not for the exams).

Behane

English, England
    When did we start having 1st* in British Universities? It didn't happen in my day (shakes walking stick).

I've never heard of a 1st* at British unis either (I graduated 2005) but surley the term '1st with honours' for the exceptional plus 80% student has existed for a while?

I have only ever met one person who managed this feat, and he really, really is exceptional in his field.

We also have nicknames for our university grades:

1st - a Damian (Hirst??)
    2:1 - can't remember
    2:2 - A Desmond (Tutu)
    3rd - a Douglas/Thora (Hurd)

frenchtranslater

Belgium, french, hebrew
    I have learned in a Belgian public school and the grading system was:

TBM - Très Bien Maitrisé (very well mastered) - excellent
    BM - Bien Maitrisé (well mastered) - above avergae
    M - Maitrisé (mastered) - average
    PAM - Pas Assez Maitrisé (not well mastered) - below average
    NM - Non Maitrisé - fail

mcibor

In Poland
    Previously

5 - bdb - bardzo dobrze = very good
    4 - db - dobrze = good
    3 - dost - dostatecznie = enough
    2 - nsdt - niedostateczny = not enough

now up to high school we use also

6 - cel - celująco = excelent
    2 - mier - mierny = indifferent

we use also + - and =, eg 2=, so we have:
    6, 5+, 5, 5-, 4+, 4, 4-, 3+, 3, 3-, 2+, 2, 2-, 2=, 1

in universities the are no +-, but are used halves. Also system is from 2 to 5:
    5; 4,5; 4; 3,5; 3; 2 (in Polish integer separator is a comma)

Michał

My grading scales (%):
    High school (Reina, mine was very similar to yours, my high school was public, by the way):
    A 100-96
    A- 95-92
    B+ 89-91
    B 86-88
    B- 83-85
    C+ 80-82
    C 77-79
    C- 74-76
    D+ 71-73
    D 68-70
    D 65-67
    F <65

College A:
    A 90+
    B 80+
    C 70+
    D 60+
    F <60

Kenyon College
    97-100 A+
    93-96 A
    90-92 A-

The most lenient was 88-100 A and <50%F :eek: in a chemistry class at college A

kurumin

salvador bahia brasil, brazilian portuguese & tupy
    in Brasil

0 the worst [a failure]
    10 the best [absolute best] :)

gabrigabri

Italian, Italy (Torino)
    Germany:
    1 - sehr gut (very good)
    2 - gut (good)
    3 - befriedigend (satisfactory)
    4 - ausreichend (enough)
    5 - mangelhaft (poor)
    6 - ungenügend (not enough)

Austria:

1 - sehr gut (very good)
    2 - gut (good)
    3 - befriedigend (satisfactory)
    4 - genügend (sufficient)
    5 - nicht genügend (not enough)

loladamore

English UK
    Very few UK universities award First Class degrees with distinction. Cambridge is one, which is probably where timpeac studied, as he referred to it as a Starred First. Had he gone to another university he might have called it a Congratulatory First. This kind of award is a rare ocurrence, reserved only for the undeniably brilliant.

Around 10% of students nationally are awarded a First Class Honours degree; however, some departments in certain universities are notorious for only awarding such a degree every once in a blue moon, whereas they are more easily attained in others.

Musical Chairs

Japan & US, Japanese & English
    I'm surprised nobody has said anything about how grades are curved, especially in college. So, you could get a 70% but if the class average was a 40%, you could have an A because you did very well compared to everyone else (typically the case in hard courses like organic chemistry). Many of my teachers have bell curve distributions or policies that go, "the top 20% of the class gets A's, 35% B's, etc." Many students study to "beat the curve." I think this is better than in HS, where there was just a scale that went 94-100 is an A, 90-93 is a B+, etc. because some teachers are ridiculously easy/hard. It only means anything when you're compared to everyone else.

Some departments give out A+'s at my school but it's still worth a 4.0 like an A. However, it still gets recorded on your transcript as "A+." It's much, much harder to get a 4.0 in college than in HS. In my opinion, a 4.0 in HS doesn't mean too much because the teachers are so much more lenient and many, many students get that or higher especially with the extra 0.5 awarded for AP courses.

loladamore

English UK
    I'm surprised nobody has said anything about how grades are curved, especially in college.
    I was just thinking that, Musical Chairs. Back when we did 'O' levels in the UK (at age 15-16), grades were curved. Thus, you could get an A with 70% one year, whereas if you sat the exam the following year, 70% might only get you a C. Some years there was barely a 2% difference between an A and a C, or so our maths teacher told us. It depended on how difficult the exam was and who you were up against.
    The system has since changed.

I don't think the curve applies to degree-level marking in the UK: student performance varies from year to year and the average grade awarded fluctuates.

Musical Chairs

Interesting, though a 2% difference between an A and a C is pretty harsh! Why would they have such a narrow cutoff?

lizzeymac

English - USA
    Interesting, though a 2% difference between an A and a C is pretty harsh! Why would they have such a narrow cutoff?
    Curving grades in high schools (secondary schools) is a relatively recent policy here in New York City - perhaps 25 years? If you have the bad fortune to be assigned to the one or two mediocre teachers in your school it can ruin your grade point average. Curving grades seems a necessary safety net for the students.
    Some of us had to make it though Organic Chem and Qualitative Analysis on straight grades. :(

Musical Chairs

Curving grades in high schools (secondary schools) is a relatively recent policy here in New York City - perhaps 25 years? If you have the bad fortune to be assigned to the one or two mediocre teachers in your school it can ruin your grade point average. Curving grades seems a necessary safety net for the students.
    Some of us had to make it though Organic Chem and Qualitative Analysis on straight grades. :(
    If people had to make it through Organic Chem on straight grades, everyone would fail. An A is around an 80%, I think. Edit: The class average is around a 40%.

CrazyArcher

Russia/Russian
    Well, one more remark on grades in Israel: they go from 0 to 100, but there are flexibilities.
    At schools the passing grade is 55, and in most universities and colleges it's 60, with an exception of Technion, where the passing grade is 56 but the exams are damn hard.
    Sometimes at schools teachers add 'bonus' tasks to the tests, so if the student does all the test correctly, including the bonus task, he can get a grade higher thatan 100.
    In universities there's sometimes a similar practice. There are rarely bonus questions, but sometimes the professors make all the parts of the exam sum to a grade higher than 100. In this case, however, the highest possible grade is still 100.

-Epic-

Israel universitys and high school finals also use the bell graph grading. Tho it rarely changes anything.

the highest change I had was 4 (out of 100) points :-\

loladamore

English UK
    As you yourself pointed out:
    Many of my teachers have bell curve distributions or policies that go, "the top 20% of the class gets A's, 35% B's, etc."
    Say, for example, you need 75% for an A, and then 35% of the students sitting the exam score between 73.5% and 74.9%, a C would be set at 73% that year.
    This is one of the reasons the system was changed, I gather. A new A* grade was introduced under the current GCSE sytem, as too many students were getting As.

I've just realised I didn't mention the Mexican system, and I don't think anyone else has either. Here we give:

10 - Excellent
    9 - Very good
    8 - Good
    7 - Satisfactory
    6 - PASS
    5 - FAIL

It is loosely based on a percentage, eg, 76-85% = 8, but a final grade is not usually based on a single exam. You need an overall average of at least 8 to be accepted in a postgraduate degree.

Unlike the old 'O' levels, you might have a class full of 9s and 10s one year, and everyone might get 7s or fail the next. It's performance based and not comparative.

sureño

Banned
    Argentina-español
    According to what I’ve seen, I have the impression that many of us think that all schools use similar grading systems. I think that assumption might be a mistake, and some of us would be surprised to know the reality.

Consequently the question is: What grading system is used in your country?
    Below is a brief description of our school grading system in Argentina:

Elementary schools only grade with words. From best to worst, the grading is as follows:
    “Excelente- Muy bueno- Suficiente bueno- Suficiente regular- Insuficiente”

In secondary schools and universities, the scale is numerical, from 10 to 0 (10 being excellent and zero being the opposite of course).

The average required to pass each subject is 6. Subjects with an average of 4 or higher but less than 6, require an additional test in December (Remember that the school period here runs from March to December).

Students with subjects that average less than 4 (a very bad grade) are required to study the subject longer, therefore the additional test will be postponed until the following March.

sokol

Austrian (as opposed to Australian)
    Austria:
    We have five grades over the whole schooling system which might be expressed both in numbers or in words:
    1 sehr gut = very good - muy bien
    2 gut = good - bien
    3 befriedigend = satisfactory - satisfactorio
    4 genügend = enough - suficiente
    5 nicht genügend = not enough - no suficiente

If you get a 5 you will have to make an additional test before the next year begins, and if you fail you've got to repeat the class; and I think you don't even get to test for the next class if you've got three or more 5's.

However in primary school very few pupils get marks worse than 2 - and further it is now possible in some cases to proceed to next class even with a 5 (I think; regulations were changed since I was a child so I don't know exactly what they're like nowadays): for smaller children teachers give bad marks (below 3) usually only for children who do not show any initiative to learn. This changes of course from secondary school onwards.

Further there are a very few schools where the classical grades system is replaced by a verbal valuation, but this is not optional and not open to all schools - these schools are so-called "Schulversuche" where new concepts of teaching are tried out (some of those already exist for quite some time) while the great majority of Austrian schools has to use the official grades system.

The grades system of Germany*) is different of the ones of Austria: in Germany there are marks from 1 to 6 (with 6 being an approximate equivalent of Austria's 5).
    (And that's about all I know about grades in Germany.)
    *) Bavaria at least; in Germany schooling is ruled by the Bundesländer, not by the nation, other Bundesländer might have other rules and even other grades for what I know.

dihydrogen monoxide

Slovene, Serbo-Croat
    In Slovenia the grades in schools are like this. In my time it was like this.
    From 1st-8th grade (7-15 years old)

1- nezadostno (unsatisfactory)
    2- zadostno (satisfactory)
    3- dobro (good)
    4- prav dobro (very good)
    5- odlično (excellent)

In high school it is the same. However, physical education and arts were graded in this way.

mu- manj uspešno (unsuccessfull)
    u- uspešno (successfull)
    zu-zelo uspešno (very successfull)

This was in high schools as well untill the minister of Education changed this and turned mu/u/zu to 1-5.
    Pupils from 7-10 years old don't get grades but just satisfactory/unsatisfactory and so on...
    It's like a Norwegian system, we borrowed the 9 years of schooling, some time ago there were only 8 years of schooling until you went to high school.
    As for universities it goes like this
    5-failing
    10-excellent
    We just call grades in universities by numbers and not by names.
    In high school if you had three 1s (unsatisfactory grade), you would have to make another attempt at making the exams in the summer. I've read somewhere that our current minister of Education decided that you could pass the grade with an unsatisfactory grade (1), but it is up to teachers to decide.

In Bosnia:
    Schools (7-15 year old) just like in Norway.
    The reason why we have Norway system now, it's because ministers say that we're in European union and we must do as European Union does. But that's off-topic.

bb008

Caracas - Venezuela
    Hola

En Venezuela el sistema de evaluación ha cambiado muchísimo, anteriormente cuando yo estudiaba en primaria y secundaria era de esta manera:

1-10: Insuficiente
    10-14 Suficiente
    15-17 Distinguido
    18-20 Excelente

"Y si tus notas no se encontraban entre 10 y 20 no pasabas de grado".

Y en la universidad la evaluación era del 1-9, nueve como máxima nota "excelente" y promedio mínimo para pasar la materia era de 6.

Luego cambio la evaluación universitaria y la colocaron del 1-20, luego volvieron a cambiarla a porcentajes que cubría un 100% de los cuales un 70% era acumulativa: trabajos, exposiciones, entre otras y el 30% exámenes y asistencia, esto también lo comenzaron aplicar en las escuelas.

Después del 98 vino "lo peor que nos ha podido pasar" y comenzaron cambios en el sistema escolar sobre todo la primaria y secundaria, ahora te clasifican en "cubrió las expectativas" - "no cubrió las expectativas" entre otras que quitan y ponen.

"Y aunque estés muy mal preparado" te pasan de grado, esta prohibido repetir (esto es en primaria y secundaria) a menos que sea una orden bajo cuerda por parte del padre o representante (acuerdo con el colegio), para que te coloquen en el mismo grado reconociendo tus fallas, pero esto es muy difícil.

Saludos.-

In high school if you had three 1s (unsatisfactory grade), you would have to make another attempt at making the exams in the summer.
    Here in Argentina, the ‘escuelas secundarias’ (high schools) have from 12 to 15 subjects each year (depending of the school). For getting promotion the pupils have to approve all of them, of course. However, in case they fail in two subjects, still will be promoted in conditional way. But if a pupil fails in 3 subjects, then he/she needs repeat not just these subjects but the whole year.
    These pupils suffer a kind of apartheid, since the schools have the admission right, and they often adduce there are not vacancy for these “repitientes”.
    I’d like to know if something similar happens in other countries too.

P.S. I hope my English looked at least understandable, since I’m a poor and ignorant barefoot kid :rolleyes:

dihydrogen monoxide

Slovene, Serbo-Croat
    Here in Argentina, the ‘escuelas secundarias’ (high schools) have from 12 to 15 subjects each year (depending of the school). For getting promotion the pupils have to approve all of them, of course. However, in case they fail in two subjects, still will be promoted in conditional way. But if a pupil fails in 3 subjects, then he/she needs repeat not just these subjects but the whole year.
    These pupils suffer a kind of apartheid, since the schools have the admission right, and they often adduce there are not vacancy for these “repitientes”.
    I’d like to know if something similar happens in other countries too.

P.S. I hope my English looked at least understandable, since I’m a poor and ignorant barefoot kid :rolleyes:
    Your English is understandable. From what I understand Argentina is strict concerning school system. In Slovenia if one fails 4 subjects then he repeats the year.

airelibre

English - London
    *** New Question (thread merged by moderator) ***

Incidentally, how does the grade system work in Israel? Ie, in English speaking countries it goes from A* through the letters. Since Hebrew uses a different writing system, I doubt it is the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

ystab

Hebrew
    Basically, the grade is a score out of a hundred. In the past it used to be out of ten. Some use, in addition or instead, verbal equivalents. For example, in high school diplomas every range has an equivalent: מצוין, טוב מאוד, טוב, מספיק, בלתי מספיק and so on. Some teachers use other marks: ,מעולה, נאה etc., and also, you can see some hybrids like טוב+ or טוב מאוד-. I've also seen teachers using א-ד as equivalents for the A-F grading.

Last edited:

airelibre

English - London
    That's interesting, thanks. How about for degreees? In some countries, like the UK there is 1st, 2.1 2.2 3rd and simple pass with no honours, but they have a different system in the US. How about in Israel?

ystab

Hebrew
    For degrees, as far as I know, there are three levels: no honors mentioned, בהצטיינות and בהצטיינות יתרה. Don't ask me by what grade each is determined. I believe it varies from one university to another, even from one faculty to another within a university, and from one year to the next.

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)

DarkChild

Bulgarian
    Bulgaria:

6 - otlichen (excellent)
    5 - mnogo dobar (very good)
    4 - dobar (good)
    3 - sreden (average; official English translation is "fair" which makes no sense IMO)
    2 - slab (lit. weak, official English "poor")

In communist times there was a grade for bad behavior

1 - losh (bad) this could ruin your whole diploma and prospect for the future because it can involve things from cheating to being a bad communist. This is no longer part of the grading system.

DarkChild

Bulgarian
    When I was in grade school in Michigan, in the '60s, grades were ABCDE. In junior high school I moved to Illinois, where grades were ABCDF. I always assumed that this was to make it obvious that F meant "fail."
    Nowadays, C is the minimum passing grade in universities and in NY it's 65.

ilocas2

Banned
    Czech
    Czech republic (elementary and high schools):

1 - výborný (excellent)
    2 - chvalitebný - (something like praisable, this word almost doesn't appear anywhere else than in this context)
    3 - dobrý (good)
    4 - dostatečný (sufficient)
    5 - nedostatečný (insufficient)

grades for behaviour:

from 1 to 3, 3 is the worst

in universities I'm not sure, but grades are not very important there, either you pass an exam or you don't pass an exam

Last edited:

airelibre

English - London
    Bulgaria:

6 - otlichen (excellent)
    5 - mnogo dobar (very good)
    4 - dobar (good)
    3 - sreden (average; official English translation is "fair" which makes no sense IMO)
    2 - slab (lit. weak, official English "poor")

In communist times there was a grade for bad behavior

1 - losh (bad) this could ruin your whole diploma and prospect for the future because it can involve things from cheating to being a bad communist. This is no longer part of the grading system.
    Average usually means fair, so it's not completely senseless, but there is a slight connotation that average is not good but not bad, while fair connotes "good enough", so there is a tiny difference.

DarkChild

Bulgarian
    Average usually means fair, so it's not completely senseless, but there is a slight connotation that average is not good but not bad, while fair connotes "good enough", so there is a tiny difference.
    I think they should use another word, not "average" since in reality this grade isn't the average and is quite the bad news for parents :D

apmoy70

Greek
    Greece

Primary School: Grades 1 to 4 => A' (excellent), B' (very good), Γ' (good), Δ' (average); Grades 5 and 6 => 10, 9 (excellent), 8, 7 (very good), 6, 5 (good), 4 (average)
    Secondary School: Gymnasium (junior high school), Lyceum (high school) => 20, 19 (excellent), 18, 17 (very good), 16, 15 (good), 14, 13 (fairly good), 12, 11 (average), 10 (barely sufficient), below 10 (failing)
    University => 10, 9 (excellent), 8, 7 (very good), 6 (good), 5 (barely sufficient), below 5 (failing)

mab0828

Español - Panama
    In Panama the grading system is different from Universities than Schools, and even for Kinder level.

Universities use 0-100 point grade scaling similar to the United States grading. 71 is required to pass or the same as a C.
    A: Excellent
    Scale Grade Description Grade
    91.00 - 100.00 Sobresaliente A
    81.00 - 90.00 Bueno B
    71.00 - 80.00 Regular C
    61.00 - 70.00 Minima de Promoción D (You have to do a Recovery test/exam to get another grade to update the one you got at the subject. It shows a (*) in your record, which means you Recovered the Subject.)
    0.00 - 60.00 Fracaso F

At schools are used the 0-5 point system. This means, for example, if a student has a 4.5 that is the equivalent of an A- or somewhere around the 95 point range. In order to pass the lowest grade is 3.0. We do not use 0 as a valid grade.

In Kinder, the grades are
    LVL-Lo voy a Lograr
    LEL - Lo Estoy Logrando
    LHL - Lo He Logrado

When it comes to the GPA Scale though, Panama uses 0-3 point scale to determine the student's GPA. So if i student has a 2.5 that is roughly the same as a U.S. student having a 3.0 - 3.5.

wtrmute

Portuguese (Brazilian)
    In Brazil, grades go from 0 through 100, or 0 through 10 for early Elementary school (the first five or so years). Though on exams and report cards the grades are marked out of 100, in common parlance the grades are divided by ten and rounded down, so anything from 70–79 is a seven, and anything from 30-39 is a three, etc. The passing grade is a five in the public system and in many private ones, but a given school may require a six or even a seven to pass.

Usually the students take exams every bimester. They get an exam where every question has a point value, and if the student gets a question right, they get the points for that question. If an exam has few questions, a question may be "half-right" and half the points are awarded. The points are added up and this is the grade. If the teacher wants more latitude in giving out grades, they may assign the exam a weight (70% or 80% of the total grade) and the other 20% or 30% may come from classwork or assignments to be done at home or in groups.

In universities, the concept is the same on a class-by-class basis, but the student's "overall" grade, equivalent to American GPA, is something called coeficiente de rendimento, or yield coefficient (abbreviated to CR). It's an average of the grades for all of a student's classes, weighted by the number of credits of each class. Usually for scholarships or apprenticeship programs it is a good idea to maintain at least a CR 7.0, but one can graduate with a CR of 5.

Copperknickers

Scotland - Scots and English
    The Scottish school grading system is very complicated and changes every 10 years or so so I don't even know what it is at the moment. I also don't know what comes below grade 'C' since if I had ever got below a grade C I would be thrown out of the house :p. But in the English university system its:

70%+ First Class (1st)
    65%+ Upper Second Class (2:1)
    60%+ Lower Second Class (2:2)
    40%+ Third Class (3rd)
    <40% Fail, but sometimes if you get 35% and above you can get a 'condoned fail'

The general idea is that 100% is the best possible standard, i.e. what would be expected of a tenured lecturer. So it's pretty much impossible to get 100% outside of subjects like Maths which don't have essays. That is why the pass mark is so low I believe (also because universities figure they get paid a lot of money to teach students, so they don't want to let students fail unless they are clearly completely clueless).

morior_invictus

Slovak
    Slovakia / Slovak Republic:

Elementary schools (9 grades – for children between the ages of ~ 6-14) and high schools (4 grades – for children between the ages of ~ 15-18) - the grading system*:

1 – výborný (excellent performance)
    2 – chválitebný (commendable – it’s not the highest grade but the pupil deserves to be at least "patted on the back" for getting this second-highest grade)
    3 – dobrý (good)
    4 – dostatočný (sufficient / satisfactory)
    5 – nedostatočný (insufficient / unsatisfactory)

For subjects that are not graded using the above grade system (because these subjects are, for example, elective, there are no generally accepted gradations for these subjects, they are not considered "core," ...) Slovak schools use the "pass-fail" grading system:

absolvoval (he passed) / absolvovala (she passed),
    neabsolvoval (he failed) / neabsolvovala (she failed).

Pupil behavior**:

1 - veľmi dobré (very good behavior),
    2 – uspokojivé (satisfactory),
    3 - menej uspokojivé (less satisfactory),
    4 – neuspokojivé (unsatisfactory).

Universities (bachelor’s degree programs – last usually 3 years, master’s degree programs – last usually 2 years, etc.) – the letter grading system is used (grading as well as the length of degree programs may vary between universities):

A (100-91), B (90-81), C (80-71), D (70-61), E (60-51), FX (50-0)

Degree programs, however, also consist of courses that are not letter-graded after completing a final exam (because they are not considered "core" to that particular degree program). In this case, students receive "credit" (zápočet) that officially confirms that they have successfully completed a course – usually a word "započítané" (credits received)(or sometimes just "Z") is put next to the course that has been completed.

Example:

Master’s degree program: Law (lasting 2 years)

1st year – winter semester

Course #1: Criminal Law (12 obligatory seminars and 12 facultative lectures followed by a final exam at the end of winter semester after "credits" have been received – the final exam is letter-graded – A/B/C/D/E/FX)("credits" are earned when a student passes a test given on the last seminar; then the student takes a final exam and receives one of the aforementioned six letter grades)

Course #2: European Constitutional Law (12 compulsory seminars and 12 facultative lectures ending in receiving "credits" – no final exam in ECL at the end of winter semester)

Course #3: Criminalistics (no obligatory seminars, only facultative lectures followed by a final exam at the end of winter semester)

< Previous | Next >