Graduate student, Phd student

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Jaime_imc8, Apr 20, 2009.

  1. Jaime_imc8 Member

    Hi, I am a Spanish PhD Student, that is I had my degree two years ago and now I am investigating to defend a thesis in two years. Well, Im going to visit for three months an American Lab and I don´t know "what I am", that's to say, am I a graduate student?am I a visiting scholar?...
    Thank you very much if you could help me.
  2. fenixpollo

    fenixpollo moderator

    American English
    Hello, Jaime, and welcome to the forum.

    How would you describe "what you are" in Spanish? It would be helpful for us to see a phrase that you would like to translate.

  3. icicina Member

    Hello Jaime
    I am a PhD student myself in the U.K. To my understanding you could class yourself as a postgraduate student or graduate student when referring to yourself in correspondence letters. You could also be a visiting scholar - all depends what function the American University is going to give you and under which conditions you would be visiting the university. Hope that helps.
  4. Jaime_imc8 Member

    Hi again and sorry, in Spain I am a "doctorando" or "estudiante que está haciendo la tesis doctoral", in fact the phrase that I would like to translate would be the latter.
    Thanks again.
  5. Roberto_Mendoza

    Roberto_Mendoza Senior Member

    Michoacán, México
    Spanish - México
    El término común en EE. UU. para los estudiantes de doctorado que ya aprobaron los exámenes y que están escribiendo la tesis es ABD (all but dissertation) o "doctoral candidate". Saludos.
  6. Jaime_imc8 Member

    Thank you very much,I have been surfing on some web sites of American universities and I think you are right and I can be considered as a "graduate student".

    I go to the University only to investigate there for three months, I'm not neither a visiting professor nor a visiting lecturer, so what do you think, Could I be a visiting scholar?
    Thank you very much because now, at least, I know that I am a "graduate student"!Everything is quite different!
  7. Roberto_Mendoza

    Roberto_Mendoza Senior Member

    Michoacán, México
    Spanish - México
    Si vas a hacer investigación, puedes ser un un RA (research assistant) o un "research fellow". Pero como te dije en el post anterior, también eres un ABD o "doctoral candidate". Saludos.
  8. Jaime_imc8 Member

    Gracias Roberto!!Pues esa es justa mi situación!!La verdad es que nunca había usado este foro pero enseguida te solucionan las cosas!!!muchas gracias
  9. icicina Member

    Hola - you could be considered a visiting scholar or a "fellow researcher" It all depends what they classed you. To my understanding all these terms could apply to you.

    Regarding your thread above
    I would translate it as "student undertaking a doctorate" or "student undertaking a PhD thesis".

    Saludos y buena suerte.
  10. Jaime_imc8 Member

    Thank you very much,
    gracias a todos!!Todo ha sido de gran ayuda!!!
  11. pampanante New Member

    English - US
    Hello from a current graduate student not yet working on his doctoral thesis (dissertation); we talk about those who are working on their dissertations as "doctoral students" or "doctoral candidates" - there's also a word "dissertator" floating around, but used infrequently.

Share This Page