graduated <in the middle of> her class

< Previous | Next >

AliBadass

persian
Prison Break (S1 E2): The vice-president is talking to one of her guys who works for and tells him about a girl who's been poking around: ''You can handle a girl who graduated in the middle of her Baylor Law School class.''

What does she mean by ''in the middle''? Does she mean the girl is a university dropout?

Last edited:
  • Myridon

English - US
    She's speaking of ranking the students by how well they did in their classes. If you have high grades, you graduate near the top of your class. If you have bad grades but still pass, you graduate near the bottom of your class. This girl is in the middle.
    (If you drop out, you don't graduate at all. She says she graduated.)

Packard

USA, English
    Keep in mind that Baylor is one of the better law schools in the USA (ranked 51 out of 225 law schools). So the middle of the class of Baylor maybe more qualified than the top of the class at one of the lesser law schools.

The "middle of the class" is just a relative ranking; it is not a measurement.

Scott AM

English - Canada
    I agree with both posts above. But it sounds to me like the vice-president is downplaying the "girl's" intelligence, capabilities, etc. She graduated from Baylor, which is a good law school, but hardly one of the best. And she was in the middle of her class. Nothing "the guy" can't handle.

Packard

USA, English
    I agree with both posts above. But it sounds to me like the vice-president is downplaying the "girl's" intelligence, capabilities, etc. She graduated from Baylor, which is a good law school, but hardly one of the best. And she was in the middle of her class. Nothing "the guy" can't handle.
    Yes Baylor is not Yale, Harvard, Stamford or Columbia. It's not even the top ranked law school in Texas (ranked third out of ten), so your interpretation may be correct. The tone of the voice of the speaker might be the missing clue to what this means.

< Previous | Next >