Graffito

bartonig

UK English
What should I say if I see an amusing comment scribbled on a wall?

"That graffiti is funny."

or

"That graffito is funny."

• Isotta

English
    This is like asking for "one biscotti," English doesn't observe singular and plural rules in Italian. Thus I think it would be, albeit incorrect, "That graffiti is funny."

Z.

Sabelotodo

English, United States
    Isotta said:
    This is like asking for "one biscotti," English doesn't observe singular and plural rules in Italian. Thus I think it would be, albeit incorrect, "That graffiti is funny."

Z.

Yes, that's right. When we English-Speakers borrow words from other languages, we don't always borrow the rules for using them. (How inconsiderate of us.:eek: )

In English, graffiti is both singular and plural like "deer" and "sheep."

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    ... and panini (plural panini's:eek: ), or as we often spell it, pannini:eek:
    PLEUGHHH

Edit: Sorry. This one pushes my pleugh buttons for inappropriate plurals, mis-spelling of other languages, and aberrant apostrophes.
    The abuses may be entirely local, but they are all to be found in a Belfast directory search.

pavorese

California -- English
    Sabelotodo said:
    Yes, that's right. When we English-Speakers borrow words from other languages, we don't always borrow the rules for using them. (How inconsiderate of us.:eek: )

In English, graffiti is both singular and plural like "deer" and "sheep."

Actually, it's not both singular and plural; instead it's uncountable, like "milk" or "ice" or "air."