grammar puzzle

andersxman

Denmark/danish
For these reasons we can state that, the respect for the organizational procedures and regulations, along with the untiring fervour demonstrated at work, certainly enable(s?)..

Can't figure out how much the subject comprises in this case. Is "untiring fervour" part of the subject? If so, the subject is plural, if not, singular.

thank you.My Best guess is that it's plural, though...

• laurahya

British English
    I would definitely say it's plural. If you strip out all the superfluous stuff in the middle, it makes it easier to tell:

...the respect [...] along with the untiring fervour [...] certainly enable...

When you tidy it up this way, it's pretty clearly plural. I think the confusion arises because of the awkward use of 'along with'. It puts emphasis on 'the respect' and makes 'untiring fervour' a kind of afterthought; if it was 'and' instead of 'along with', it would be instantly obvious that it is plural. Silly English :rolleyes:

Hope that helps!

-Laura

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    I would actually go with the singular verb, precisely for the reason that the "along with" part is kind of an afterthought.

If you want to place equal emphasis on both elements, just change "along with" to "and," use a plural verb, and save yourself the headache.

Silly English. :)

laurahya

British English
    Haha. Well, there you go. Both sound a little strange to me, because the 'along with' puts us in a kind of no-man's land between requiring a plural or a singular. It seems it's up to you, but if I were you I'd take elroy's advice and go for 'and' in order to evade the problem entirely.

panjandrum

Occasional Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    For these reasons we can state that, the respect for the organizational procedures and regulations, along with the untiring fervour demonstrated at work, certainly enable(s?)...
    I suppose it all depends on how close you feel that "along with" approximates to "and"; if it's close, then you need a plural verb.
    If you were to say "when taken along with", then I would definitely want a singular verb.
    Elroy's headache cure is a good one.

I also want to remove the comma after that.

river

U.S. English
    "Phrases such as together with, as well as, along with do not compound the subject as and." (The boss as well as he brother is going to prison.)

CAMullen

US, English
    Sometimes, I "juggle" the words around and that tells me how to proceed. For example, "For these reasons we can state that, along with the untiring fervour demonstrated at work, the respect for the organizational procedures and regulations certainly enables...

< Previous | Next >