[grammar]the wedding Mom dreams of performing she hopes will take place at...

X1234X

Chinese- China
Here is a sentence:
"Yet the wedding Mom dreams of performing she hopes will take place at the foot of a ski run"
I am a bit confused by the sentence structure; Are the subject, verb, and object "she", "hopes", and "the wedding Mom dreams of performing will..." respectively? If so, is this sentence a type of inversion in order to emphasize the object? Sorry, I am not very good at English. great thanks if someone could help me out. :)

• Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    This is frankly a poorly structured sentence - I wouldn't spend too much time grappling with the grammar. There are in fact two main verbs and two subjects. ("she hopes" and "the wedding will take place").

e2efour

UK English
    The grammar works for me, although it seems unnecessarily complicated.
    The subject is the wedding and you can think of she hopes as in parenthesis (= hopefully or "will, she hopes, take place").
    Example: Next summer I hope will bring fewer immigrants to Greece.

I believe this comes from a test question. Could you give the source?

X1234X

Chinese- China
    The grammar works for me, although it seems unnecessarily complicated.
    The subject is the wedding and you can think of she hopes as in parenthesis (= hopefully or "will, she hopes, take place").
    Example: Next summer I hope will bring fewer immigrants to Greece.

I believe this comes from a test question. Could you give the source?
    Thanks! It gets clearer after your explanation. Yes, it actually comes from the English section of an ACT exam paper( the setting is the author's mother has power to perform weddings; she has organized weddings of various themes, and then this sentences appears at the last paragraph of the passage.)

Quotation" Yet the wedding Mom dreams of performing she hopes will take place at the foot of a ski run. She imagines my brother and his bride skiing down the mountain to join her and her guests"

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >