grandson time

< Previous | Next >

mehdi1986

persian
any one knows what does"grandson time" mean, exactly?
the author explains less than a century and more than a year.

• mehdi1986

persian
    The author of what?
    Our scales of interest are also broad. In the time domain, while recognizing that important
    interactions between social and environmental systems occur at all scales, we have found it most
    helpful to focus on what might be called grandchildren” time: periods of more than years but
    less than centuries. Because ideas and policies, and the structure of social organizations and
    technologies of the present cast a significant shadow on the future, we adopt a dynamic view,
    emphasizing not some distant goal of achieving sustainable development, but rather on
    contemporary progress (or lack thereof) along a transition toward sustainability.

• Clark, B., Bong, aarts, J., Carpenter, S., Dasgupta, P., Kates, B., Ostrom, E., ...& Levin, S. (2010). Sustainable development and sustainability science. Toward a Science of Sustainability.

lingobingo

English - England
    I’m none the wiser for reading that – especially since that’s not even the same expression. I would expect “grandson time” to mean time spent with one’s grandson (like “me time” being time spent on your own). But presumably it has some other meaning in this context.

User With No Name

English (U.S.)
    I think in this context it probably means the period of time in which a person's grandchildren will live their lives. The same time period we're referring to indirectly when we say things like "leave a better world for our grandchildren."

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I would guess it means the time it takes for your grandchildren to grow up and become adults in their own right - probably a period of several decades.

I don't think I've ever seen it used anywhere else: it's not a common expression.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    It might be called "grandchildren time" so apparently they've just come up with the term.

Most ordinary adult people tend to be intensely concerned about living conditions for their own ancestors and descendants for two generations into the past and two generations into the future. More distant generations are not generally much of a pressing concern, since they are either several years dead or not yet born.

< Previous | Next >