Grant VS Scholarship VS Bursary

< Previous | Next >
  • Gorgiewave

Scotland, English
    Hello,

What is the difference between this words?

Thank you :),

Anna
    Grant is the most general word and means money that is awarded - after an application or competition - to any person or organisation (<?>). Money that the European Union gives national governments to pay for road-building are grants. In the context of a university it may mean money given to cover living expenses rather than to pay fees.
    A scholarship is money given to a student, at least to pay fees and possibly also to pay for living expenses (<?>).
    A bursary is the same thing, used mainly in Britain (<?>).

Last edited by a moderator:

scotu

Chicago English
    What is the difference between these words?
    Grant is the most general word and means money that is awarded - after an application or competition - to any person or organisation (<?>). Money that the European Union gives national governments to pay for road-building are grants. In the context of a university it may mean money given to cover living expenses rather than to pay fees.
    A scholarship is money given to a student, at least to pay fees and possibly also to pay for living expenses (<?>).
    A bursary is the same thing, used mainly in Britain (<?>).
    In American usage: A grant is given to a student to pursue a special field or fund special research. Grants are different from scholarships in that they are more or less gifts while scholarships are usually merit-based and frequently conditional. Bursary is BrE, not used in AmE.

Last edited by a moderator:

cycloneviv

English - Australia
    This other thread, which I found by typing grant scholarship (both words at once) into the Dictionary and thread title search box at the top of the page, set to English definition, provides useful insight into the difference between "grant" and "scholarship":

Scholarship / Grant

I am personally not familiar with "bursary". I recognise it as being an English word, but have no idea what it means. :)

< Previous | Next >