grateful for doing something

Butterfly_VM

Russian & Ukrainian
Dear native speakers,
Is it right to say (or write): I will be grateful for informing me about an accurate result.
I'm applying for a job at the moment and have performed a small test. I would like to encourage the employer to tell me the exact (accurate?) result of my work, because sometimes they remain silent for a long time and I don't know whether to look for another position or wait for their answer.

Thank you!

• Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    Hello Butterfly_VM,

I'm afraid it's not correct. You could say "If you could inform me I would be grateful". (or I would be grateful if you could inform me).

You might want to ask a second question about "accurate".

Butterfly_VM

Russian & Ukrainian
    Thank you Glasguensis!
    So the construction grateful for doing something is wrong? Or it is wrong in such sort of formal communication?

Yes, you are right, I want to ask about "accurate". I will start a new thread.

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    So the construction grateful for doing something is wrong?
    In my opinion, yes. grateful for should be followed by a noun or a noun phrase. You could say I was grateful for Paul helping me, for example, or I was grateful for Paul's help. In your particular example it is a conditional gratefulness - they haven't done anything yet, so it's better to use "if".

< Previous | Next >