great/insignificant/unknown

< Previous | Next >

layman9

vietnamese
Hi,

Beethoven is a great composer.

Is insignificant or unknown is the antonym of great in the sentence above?

My choice is insignificant.

Thanks in advance.

• S1m0n

English
    This is not a useful way to think about antonyms. There is no useful linguistic or grammatical operation you can conduct by memorizing lists of antonyms. It is worthwhile learning the concept, and as your vocabulary increases, you may be able to sort some words into these categories. But it is no more use than that. In fact, it is largely useless.
    Sorry if you have spent effort learning antonyms. This will not help you learn English.

layman9

vietnamese
    Thank both of you for your answers.
    It is a question extracted from my test. Although I am bored with such type of test because I know that it's pointless learning words by heart without understanding how to use them in certain contexts, I still try my best to do it in order to improve my academic performance at school.

S1m0n

English
    If you are looking for an antonym for Beethoven, I am reliably informed that he has spent the years since his death decomposing.

layman9

vietnamese
    If you are looking for an antonym for Beethoven, I am reliably informed that he has spent the years since his death decomposing.
    I am really sorry if I've made you annoyed. Maybe I couldn't convey exactly what I wanted to say.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    "Unknown" is not suitable as an antonym because a composer may be great but not well-known. I'd have to choose "insignificant" since "great" is a measure of size or quality. If given free rein, I'd choose "minor".

S1m0n

English
    Sorry. I'm not annoyed. I just took an opportunity to make a joke. As, frankly, I will always do.
    If I had to be serious and select an antonym for 'great composer', it would be 'minor composer' or 'obscure composer'.

< Previous | Next >