great plasterings of brick dwellings on the hopeless countryside

< Previous | Next >


Senior Member
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(para. 93, chapter 11) by Lawrence(the University of Adelaide,here):
(background: the following was the scene Connie saw when on a travel in a car)

The handsome old halls are there, from the days of Good Queen Anne and Tom Jones. But smuts fall and blacken on the drab stucco, that has long ceased to be golden. And one by one, like the stately homes, they were abandoned. Now they are being pulled down. As for the cottages of England — there they are — great plasterings of brick dwellings on the hopeless countryside.

There several meanings for the word plastering. What's the exact one here please? I don't know whether it means things that cover the hopeless countryside, failure, or a layer or coating of plaster
Thank you in advance
Last edited:
  • Barque

    Senior Member
    It's not specifically the ground that they're smeared on, according to the author but the scene of the countryside in general.


    Senior Member
    English - England
    I disagree with "smear" - In Lawrence's Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire English "plastered" is not the WRF "to overspread with something, esp. thickly or excessively:" but

    "to place excessive numbers of something in a haphazard (and often amateurish or careless) manner."

    "He had a load of spotlights plastered on the front of his lorry."

    "I told him to plant a few bushes in the garden and he plastered them everywhere."
    < Previous | Next >