greatly depend/depend largely

< Previous | Next >
Dear friends!!!

As is often done by me, the example (sample sentence) below is from one of my technical papers. However, the phrase in question is also topical in conversational English (I mean the construction itself, not the subject).

1) The results of the experiment greatly depend on the quality of the equipment

2) The results of the experiment depend largely on the quality of the equipment

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Am I right that in sentence #1 "greatly" should stand before "depend" whiule "largely" in sentence #2 goes after "depend"? Are other positions allowed? Second, apart from "greatly" and "largely" how else can we express the idea behind the sentence (what other words can be used)?

Thanks!!!

• MichaelW

English (British)
    I would put "greatly" after "depend", and perhaps "largely" before though your way round works.

I agree with MichaelW.

To me, greatly sounds referring to the degree/extent of the dependence like 'very much(how much)' while largely does the quality of the dependence like 'very(how)'.

tomtombp

Hungarian
    Although none of them are mentioned in an Oxford collocations dictionary I just checked, to me "strongly depend" and "depend heavily" also sound well. I'm I wrong? Maybe the reason the Oxford dictionary doesn't mention these options is that they are more AmE?

JamesM

I agree with MichaelW.

To me, greatly sounds referring to the degree/extent of the dependence like 'very much(how much)' while largely does the quality of the dependence like 'very(how)'.
    I have the same sense of "greatly". For me, "largely" means "for the most part". It may depend on many things, but whatever it largely depends on is the thing that has the greatest influence on its condition or outcome.

"I depend on you greatly." I depend on you very much.
    "I depend on you largely." I depend on many people, but I depend on you more than the others.

AmEStudent

Italian/Albanian - bilingual
    The car was greatly damaged = The car was damaged a lot.
    The car was largely damaged = Most of the car was damaged.

It depends greatly on... = It depends a lot on...
    It depends largely on... = A lot of it depends on...

I think I come to understand the difference though it is very subtle as I see.... How about "strongly depend" and "depend heavily" as suggested above? "Strongly depend = greatly depend" (or similar, if not identical, in meaning), while "depend heavily = depend largely"? Frankly speaking, never before have I come across "depend heavily" as a collocation.

Best

omar99

Arabic
    Hello!

grammar rule: adverbs of degree/intensity are placed before the verb they modify, e.g., This matter largely depends on your resources.
    adverbs of manner are placed after the verb they modify, e.g., She was speaking slowly.

< Previous | Next >