Greece's debt woes have abated

LQZ

Mandarin
Ms. Merkel also said that after Greece's debt woes have abated, the euro zone must reopen EU treaty negotiations to impose tough new measures and sanctions to prevent such problems in the future. --taken from The Wall Street Journal

Dear all,

I am wondering whether the writer didn't notice the tense had lapsed. To me, the bold part should be 'adate'. Could you tell me whether I am right? Thanks.

LQZ

• tepatria

Canadian English
    Ms. Merkel also said that after Greece's debt woes have abated, the euro zone must reopen EU treaty negotiations to impose tough new measures and sanctions to prevent such problems in the future. --taken from The Wall Street Journal

Dear all,

I am wondering whether the writer didn't notice the tense had lapsed. To me, the bold part should be 'adate'. Abate??? Could you tell me whether I am right? Thanks.

LQZ
    Have abated is correct here.

shawnee

English - Australian
    I'm not sure where exactly you are conflicted here. So this may or may not be appropriate. "After ..(they) have abated", is in fact a future proposition even though it sounds like the past. I'm not sure of the correct grammatical terminology but it strikes me as some thing like a future conditional. That is that the 'imposition of tough new measures' will only take effect when Greece's woes have abated.

LQZ

Mandarin
    I'm not sure where exactly you are conflicted here. So this may or may not be appropriate. "After ..(they) have abated", is in fact a future proposition even though it sounds like the past. I'm not sure of the correct grammatical terminology but it strikes me as some thing like a future conditional. That is that the 'imposition of tough new measures' will only take effect when Greece's woes have abated.
    Thanks, shawnee.

Could you give me some other examples?

< Previous | Next >