Greek milo and Hebrew milim by

Ben Jamin

Polish
There are hundreds of Greek loans in Hebrew according to some sources. Is there any chance that Ivrit Milim (words) is related to Greek milo (I speak)?

• apmoy70

Greek
    Bare in mind, that the MoGr «μιλώ» is the aphetism of the ancient «ὁμιλέω/ὁμιλῶ» hŏmĭléō (uncontracted)/hŏmilô --> (Classical Gr) to be in company with, consort with, hold converse with, be acquainted with, associate with, (Koine) to speak, address, converse < Classical adj. «ὁμός, -ός, -όν» hŏmós (masc. & fem.), hŏmón (neut.) --> common, one and the same, equal, similar, level (PIE *som-h₂-o- same, equal cf Skt. सम (samá), same, equal, Proto-Slavic *samъ, self, Proto-Germanic *samaz, same) + Classical v. «εἰλέω/εἴλω» ei̯léō or eí̯lō --> to press together, draw together, fence in, aggregate (PIE *uel- to press together; for Beekes: many lE words contain an element *uel-, but there is no obvious counterpart to εἰλέω).

Ben Jamin

Polish
    Yes, I know that milo is a descendant of homilo. But this does not preclude any relation with the Hebrew/Ivrit word. The best argument against such relation would be the actual Hebrew etymology of "milim".

berndf

German (Germany)
    Yes, I know that milo is a descendant of homilo. But this does not preclude any relation with the Hebrew/Ivrit word. The best argument against such relation would be the actual Hebrew etymology of "milim".
    What he implied, and I think he is has, that it doesn't make much sense to relate a biblical Hebrew word (millah) to a modern Greek word. When you compare it to the classical Greek etymon of the modern Greek word then there is not too much of a similarity left.

The etymology of millah is unclear to me. I haven't found the root M-L-L in any other Semitic language.

rushalaim

русский
    There are hundreds of Greek loans in Hebrew according to some sources. Is there any chance that Ivrit Milim (words) is related to Greek milo (I speak)?
    Syriac-Aramaic Christian has מלתא [melto] "word" (from Greek?). John's gospel 1.1 uses Greek [ΛΟΓΟC] "logics". So rabbinic Talmud uses word of Syriac-Christians of Greeks?

berndf

German (Germany)
    The word occurs already in Biblical Hebrew, e.g., Psalm 139, vers 4: כי אין מלה בלשוני הן יהוה ידעת כלה

berndf

German (Germany)
    And what? Show me the scroll with the exact date when it was written!
    The Masoretic text is a sufficiently respectable attestation of Hebrew at the time of the end of the Biblical period (3rd century BC), even if this particular Psalm, 139, is not preserved in any Qumran fragment. There are enough fragments of biblical texts that agree sufficiently well with the Masoretic text.

fdb

French (France)
    Aramaic mellā, determined state mellṯā, occurs already in the Old Aramaic Sefire Treaty (ca. 750 BCE). It is obviously not borrowed from Modern Greek. Arabic milla “sect, nation” is believed to be a loan from Aramaic.

momai

Arabic - Syria
    Aramaic mellā, determined state mellṯā, occurs already in the Old Aramaic Sefire Treaty (ca. 750 BCE). It is obviously not borrowed from Modern Greek. Arabic milla “sect, nation” is believed to be a loan from Aramaic.
    There is also the Arabic verb أملى to dictate words (orders also). Lisan Al-Arab has أملل as a Hijazi variant of this verb.

< Previous | Next >