Greek: Talal - Talalas (from Arabic?)

shawnee

English - Australian
Herkeser selamlar,
I am looking into the background of a Greek name Talalas, which I believe is derived from the Arabic Talal - which I understand to mean variously; admirable or light rain. I suspect it has come from Turkish but cannot find confirmation. I would be grateful for any assistance.

• Rallino

Moderatoúrkos
    Turkish
    Herkeser selamlar,
    I am looking into the background of a Greek name Talalas, which I believe is derived from the Arabic Talal - which I understand to mean variously; admirable or light rain. I suspect it has come from Turkish but cannot find confirmation. I would be grateful for any assistance.
    Herkese*

Merhaba ^^

The closest name I can think of is Talat in Turkey. But it doesn't mean any of those adjectives that you stated. It means: Face, visage or feature.

Rallino

Moderatoúrkos
    Turkish
    The first syllable "Ta" is pronounced like the Tu in Tusk. L is pronunced softly as in French. The final two letters "at" is like the ut in utmost.

shawnee

English - Australian
    Yes, I agree. If only the last 't' was a bit more silent. Anyway bir dahaki sefere kadar (I hope that means, until next time). If not just :)

Bosnian (BCS) has the word telal, which is derived from (Ottoman) Turkish tellȃl and ultimately Arabic dällāl.

Here it is a historical term, meaning a person who would gather crowds with drums and tell them news and orders for the public. Over here forming surnames based on person's occupation was common, and that's also the case with telal, there is a surname Telalović and probably other similar forms.

I guess that today this surname would best fit someone working in the media. Tell all, tellȃl. :D

Last edited:

shawnee

English - Australian
    Thank you Denis. This is the very probable provenance of the name. The Greek equivalent of telal < tellȃl is Ntelalís. It is a Turkish loan word with exactly the same meaning, equivalent to the old 'town crier' in English. So it might be fair to say that Talalás is a variant. Well, I now feel confident enough to say that it is a reasonable speculation.
    'Tell all' is a good one! :) Hvala Denis.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >