green around the collar

sethbrundle

Rome - italian (but with a strong roman flavouring..)
He looks a little green around the collar.

The character looking a little green around the collar is having a big steak for lunch with a rich and influent person he has to convince to make a donation; the character has just started doing this job, so he might be a little nervous about that.

So what about that "green around the collar"?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Hi,

Given the context, I think it's a variation of "green around the gills" which means "looking a little nauseated".

Can you give us more context?
    Is it BE?

sethbrundle

So, is it "nauseated" or "ancora in erba", meaning no yet skilled in the job he's into?

TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I've always understood green around the collar to mean naive or lacking experience.
    Ok, very interesting. Then it probably is BE.
    "Inexperienced" would fit better here,
    but I could imagine someone so nervous asking for a $10,000,000 donation that they are nauseated!:D

rrose17

Canada, English
    To be honest I've heard of green around the edges to mean inexperienced and green around the gills to mean feeling sick but in this context, which despite Tim's colourful and possible rendering, it probably means the former.

sethbrundle

It is Canadian English (Mordecai Richler's "Barney's version"), so should I go with "in erba" or "alle prime armi" (inexperienced)?

sethbrundle

Yes, of course, they have the same meaning, I didn't express myself correctly in my last post, I meant:
    so should I go with "in erba"/"alle prime armi" (inexperienced) and NOT with "disgustato"....

< Previous | Next >