(green-)collar job

Discussion in 'English Only' started by signpen, Mar 12, 2009.

1. signpen Member

With regard to the beneficial results of climate warming this term is used. I suppose it means new climate- or environment-related jobs.
    But what does collar in this context really mean? It also make me further problems because another question to the text asks for other two"-collar" jobs mentioned and I cannot recognize them in the text until I have fully understood the term.

Please help me.
    thank you in advance.

2. Joelline

Joelline Senior Member

USA (W. Pennsylvania)
    American English
    Hi,

In AE, the term refers to the kind of job a person has. A "blue collar" worker is one who does NOT wear a "white shirt" (with the traditional white collar to work); i.e., "blue collar workers" refers to laborers, construction workers, truck drivers, those who work with their hands (electricians, plumbers, etc.).

I hope this helps.

3. lablady

lablady Senior Member

Central California
    English - USA
    Hello signpen,

Adding to Joelline's explanation, the collar is the part of a shirt that goes around the neck. The color of the collar is often used figuratively to indicate the type of shirt a worker in the job might wear.

To clarify:
    Historically, a worker who had a job involving manual labor often wore a shirt or overalls made of blue material. Therefore a "blue-collar worker" came to mean a person whose job involved manual labor (their clothing might become soiled). It then followed that a "white-collar" worker was someone whose job did not involve manual labor such as a professional or office worker (their clothes could be white since they did not become soiled). Today other colors might indicate other jobs, such as the "green-collar" you mentioned and "pink-collar" to indicate jobs predominantly held by women.

4. signpen Member

Thank you, but that fact I have already understood.
    My problem is actually the text.
    I have to answer special qustion to a text. Now one question confuses me relating to that term. so I have to show you the excerpt and the question concerning my confusion:
    "In the coming years, all of us around the world must decide to see global warming as a challenge, and also as an opportunity. We can start to address global warming with innovation and with market-based solutions that will grow economies around the world and create the next generation of good-paying jobs – including “green-collar” jobs.
    We have already seen the powerful potential of green jobs in America. << removed by moderator >> But today, 1,000 of those men and women [who lost their jobs] are back at work on the site of their former steel mill – building wind turbines.
    << removed by moderator >> "
    Taken from: The World in 2008. “Green Expectations”, by Nancy Pelosi. p. 60

a) What are “green-collar” jobs?

b) What are the other two “-collar” jobs?
    << quotation edited by moderator >>

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2009
  5. signpen Member

I cannot see any other jobs!
    And what is meant with that hyphen between the words "two" and "collar"?

6. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    "Green-collar" jobs are jobs in industries that are ecologically friendly, like exploiting renewable energy sources.

7. signpen Member

Yes, I know, bibliolept.
    But what does the second question according to the text above mean?

8. Franzi Senior Member

Astoria, NY
    (San Francisco) English
    "A" and "B" are questions you were given about the text, right? The two normal, accepted "___-collar job" terms are "blue-collar" and "white-collar". Someone already explained them above. Other "___-collar" terms are not widely accepted, but if a color has an obvious cultural connotation (green = environmental, pink = feminine, female, or gay depending on the context), people will coin new "___-collar" terms.

9. lablady

lablady Senior Member

Central California
    English - USA
    I think the other two "-collar" jobs part of the question expects you to think ouside the text. I don't think the other "-collar" jobs are specifcally mentioned. Joelline and I gave you the answer in our explanations. :)

10. signpen Member

Ok, thank you all very very much! You were very kind!
    What a dreadful asked question! I was so concentrated on the text!