green hills / greeny hills

JMCI

Sinhala
Hello,

I want to know about the accurate usage of these two words "Green" and "Greeny".
If I say, "look at that green hills" and "look at that greeny hills", are there any difference between "green" and "greeny" in the sentence?

Thanks in advance!

• LaVache

English- American
    Hi, I think "greeny" is a made up word. Just say it like this:

Look at the green hills.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    These days 'greeny' is only used in compound colour names, like 'greeny-blue'. Apart from that, it is a very rare word. Never use it.

pob14

American English
    Merriam-Webster online doesn't have it. I wouldn't be surprised to hear it from a child ("I like the jelly beans, they're all greeny!") or used in a slightly humorous way ("Do you like the blue dress or the sort of pinky-greeny one?"), but not as a serious word.

sdgraham

USA English
    Welcome to the forum, JMCI

Not a word? My dic has the word "greeny" :(
    Actually I want to know if I use "Greeny Hills" is it wrong?
    First of all, write out "dictionary." Besides the fact that it's not an acceptable abbreviation, "dick" is a colloquialism for "penis." Your sentence evokes an image of a rather strange tattoo. :eek:

Secondly, you don't say what sort of dictionary you have. Please use the one attached to this forum.

Thirdly, "Greenie" is sometimes used as a name for something, e.g. dog treats.

It's wrong in the context you present.

JMCI

Sinhala
    Welcome to the forum, JMCI

First of all, write out "dictionary." Besides the fact that it's not an acceptable abbreviation, "dick" is a colloquialism for "penis." Your sentence evokes an image of a rather strange tattoo. :eek:

Secondly, you don't say what sort of dictionary you have. Please use the one attached to this forum.

Thirdly, "Greenie" is sometimes used as a name for something, e.g. dog treats.

It's wrong in the context you present.
    I'm extremely sorry for all the mistakes which I have done in my first post on this forum :) I didn't know that I have to use the dictionary attached to this forum, I'll use it when I post something next time :)

sdgraham

USA English
    I'm extremely sorry for all the mistakes which I have done in my first post on this forum :) I didn't know that I have to use the dictionary attached to this forum, I'll use it when I post something next time :)
    You don't have to use this dictionary, JMCI, but it makes it easier if we all work from the same source.

There are so many dictionaries of varying quality throughout the world, that it's impossible for us to deal with them all.

Good luck.:)

< Previous | Next >