Greengrocer, produce market or fruiterer?

bcchagas

Portuguese - Brazil
Hi, all! How's it going?

To fill you in on when this question came up, earlier today I went to a shop that only sells fruits and vegetables and I found myself trying to find out which word describes this sort of shop, which is very popular here in Brazil. Could you tell me which word do you use to describe this kind of shop?

Thank you :)

• sdgraham

USA English
    I haven't heard "greengrocer" in the U.S. since I was a child back in the first half of the previous century.

(And there are few, if any, such markets around this part of the western United States these days, except for the "farmer's markets" that set up once or twice a week)

bcchagas

Portuguese - Brazil
    Rover_KE, Thank you!

I knew it would be one those in the title as the three of them is on Wikipedia, the source I used. I just wanted to know which one is commonly used in the UK and North America.

Waiting for someone from North America to kindly tell us which one they usually use :)

Best regards

Myridon

English - US
    You have made a logical error by assuming that we still have anything like a greengrocer as described in the Wikipedia article entitled "Greengrocer". We generally buy all our produce at supermarkets which carry everything.
    We have farmer's markets which are made up of multiple produce stands, or you might find a produce stand on the side of the road near a farm or orchard.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farmers'_market

bcchagas

Portuguese - Brazil
    Thank you sdgraham and Florentia52.

It's really interesting. In Brazil we usually have the option to buy produces at greengrocer's, farmer's markets and supermarkets. Greengrocer's/Produce markets are often the best option because we can buy them more freshly.

Thank you all again! Best regards :)

bcchagas

Portuguese - Brazil
    Yeah, Myridon. It's really important to know that. Thanks for emphasizing what sdgraham said in the post No. 4.

theartichoke

English - Canada
    For what it's worth, here in Canada (or at least in Toronto and Ottawa, and I'm sure elsewhere as well) we have plenty of greengrocers and we call them, well, "greengrocers." And yes, they tend to have way better produce than the supermarket, and get you through the winter when the farmer's market is shut down.

bcchagas

Portuguese - Brazil
    theartichoke, I haven't thought about it but makes a lot of sense that farmer's market shut down in winter. Thanks for sharing this interesting fact.

< Previous | Next >