Greet children

LQZ

Mandarin
Dear all,

Chinese Lunar New Year is coming. Could you tell me when I visit my friends and relatives, what can I say to greet their children in English? I mean what are the idiomatic greetings you native speaker often say to children? Thanks.

LQZ

• Copyright

American English
    Happy New Year! Here's your red packet. (And then they run away and you don't see them again.) :D

Edit, just in case they don't go away.
    Ok, I'm not brilliant with most kinds of social conversation (which I'll prove below), especially with the younger set. But the usual things are names and age and school and interests -- and if you see some sort of computer or sports or art stuff around, you can ask about that.

Hi, I'm Copyright. What's your name?
    Hold old are you?
    What grade are you in? What are you studying? Do you like school? Do you have much homework? Are you studying Chinese? Is it hard?
    I see you have a bike. Do you do a lot of biking?
    Do you play any sports? What sports do you like most?
    Do you think we've had enough conversation now? Me, too... so I'll let you go do something interesting. :)

Obviously, this varies with the age of the child -- and my questions seemed aimed at a five-year-old, hmm. But you can upgrade them for older children. If they're foreigners in China, you can ask how long they've been in China. Have they seen anything interesting so far. What do they like most. What do they miss most. Have they been any place interesting. Etc.

Last edited:

LQZ

Mandarin
    Happy New Year! Here's your red packet. (And then they run away and you don't see them again.) :D
    :DAh, Mr. copyright, you are familar with Chinese custom. I can't help laughing when I read your reply.

But I am going to know what you would say to a native child.

Copyright

American English
    :DAh, Mr. copyright, you are familar with Chinese custom. I can't help laughing when I read your reply.

But I am going to know what you would say to a native child.
    Same thing if they're living in China. Trust me, they'll know the custom. :)

But while you were answering, I posted a few more thoughts in my original message. Good luck. They're kids... talk to them like they're small adults who have their own interests. Remember to share a little -- don't make it an interrogation. You don't like school? I didn't either -- until I was about 12 and then I took biology. Etc. (I'm still in the five-year-old phrase phase, I see.)

I also noticed that we're way outside forum rules... so you might want to copy these things if you find them useful, because this thread should probably be deleted.

LQZ

Mandarin
    Thank you so mcuh, Mr. Copyright. One more question: Can I say "I wish you every happiness in China" or "I wish you a happy new year" or "I wish you good scores in school" ?

Copyright

American English
    I hope you'll always be happy in China.
    I hope you enjoy China.
    I wish you a Happy New Year.
    I wish you a Happy Chinese New Year.
    I wish you a Happy Year of the Tiger.
    I hope you do well in school.

LQZ

Mandarin
    I hope you'll always be happy in China.
    I hope you enjoy China.