Greet/wish someone Hello, Namashkaar or Assalam-o-alaikum?

Lun-14

Banned
Hindi
Hi

When an English meet someone, they say: Hello, Hi etc.
When a Hindu meet someone, they say: Namashkaar, Namastay.
When a Muslim meet someone, they say: Assalam-o-alaikum.

So can I say:
A Muslim greeted/wished Assalam-o-alaikum to me when they met me in the college.
A Hindu greeted/wished Namashkaar/Namastay to me when they met me in the college.
An English greeted/wished Hello/Hi to me when they met me in the college.

Thanks a lot

• Lun-14

Banned
    Hindi
    Thank you Barque sir, what verb would you use with "Assalam-o-alaikum" (A Muslim way of greeting someone)?

And, why wouldn't you use "wished" with Namastay? What type of greetings would you use "wish" with and what greetings would you use "greet" with?

se16teddy

English - England
    A Muslim greeted/wished Assalam-o-alaikum to me when they met me in the college.
    A Hindu greeted/wished Namashkaar/Namastay to me when they met me in the college.
    An English greeted/wished Hello/Hi to me when they met me in the college.
    I wouldn't use any of these He said ... to me when he met me. Or maybe He greeted me with a ... (but greet is not a word I use really.)

Greet
    cannot take an utterance as its object.
    Hello and hi are not wishes - I'm not sure about the others.

Barque

Tamil
    The word "wish" goes with greetings where you wish for something for the other person. When you say "Happy Birthday" or "Good morning" you're essentially saying "I wish you a happy birthday" and "I wish you a good morning". For that reason, it doesn't go with Namastay, in my opinion.

As salaamu aleikum means "Peace be upon you". I think "greet" is the right word. He greeted me with/greeted me by saying "As salaamu aleikum".

< Previous | Next >