greeter

leveresignore

ITALIAN
Buonasera!

Cosa fa un GREETER AT WAL-MART?

Si tratta della descrizione di una persona: "He'd fit right in as a greeter at Wal-Mart".

"Greeter" in italiano è "qualcuno che saluta": questo significa che nei Wal-Mart c'è qualcuno che, di lavoro, saluta i clienti?

Grazie molte!

• SleepingLeopard

English - United States (New York)
    Ciao,

Hai capito il senso letterale. Ecco il significato idiomatico:

Being a greeter at Wal-Mart is the easiest job in the world. All you have to do is greet shoppers and hand them shopping carts, and then say "Goodbye, have a nice day!" when people leave.

Wal-Mart prides itself on hiring people who are not able because of disability to get many other jobs. Greeters at many Wal-Marts are often people who are "retarded" or "mentally challenged".

Therefore:
    He'd fit right in as a greeter at Wal-Mart = He's an idiot! / Boy, is he dumb! :D

Spero di essere chiara :)

You little ripper!

Australian English
    Ciao,

Hai capito il senso letterale. Ecco il significato idiomatico:

Being a greeter at Wal-Mart is the easiest job in the world. All you have to do is greet shoppers and hand them shopping carts, and then say "Goodbye, have a nice day!" when people leave.

Wal-Mart prides itself on hiring people who are not able because of disability to get many other jobs. Greeters at many Wal-Marts are often people who are "retarded" or "mentally challenged".

Therefore:
    He'd fit right in as a greeter at Wal-Mart = He's an idiot! / Boy, is he dumb! :D

Spero di essere chiara :)
    I hope there aren't any reading this thread; I don't think they'd take kindly to being refered to as idiots. :p

I presume they do the same job as the greeters in K-Mart here in Australia. Another of their jobs is to check bags when customers leave the store.

P.S. One of the greeters I used to chat to at my local K-Mart in Sydney was a very intelligent woman. :cool:

SleepingLeopard

P.S. One of the greeters I used to chat to at my local K-Mart in Sydney was a very intelligent woman. :cool:
    I didn't mean any offense, or to imply that everyone who has that job is retarded, just that when you see "mentally challeged" people working in public, one of the common places to see them working is as greeters at Wal-Mart, and using this metaphor to call people stupid is quite common in the United States. I was trying to explain it in the kindest way possible. :D

You little ripper!

Australian English
    I didn't mean any offense, or to imply that everyone who has that job is retarded, just that when you see "mentally challeged" people working in public, one of the common places to see them working is as greeters at Wal-Mart, and using this metaphor to call people stupid is quite common in the United States. I was trying to explain it in the kindest way possible. :D
    SL, you'd have a better idea than I would of what a greeter at Wall-Mart immediately conjures up in the American mind, but looking at that sentence by itself could just mean that the person referred has a cheery disposition, a personality trait which would be quite an asset as a greeter. I must admit though that when I first read that post I thought that the person referred to here was suited to the job because no skill was required. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

SleepingLeopard

Yes, if the original sentence was said by an American, I have no doubt about my interpretation. It's a common joke/insult here.

allighieri

ITALIANO
    In this situation comedy there is a shop where is a really nice guy wearing only trousers. All the characters call him "Greeter God". I'm sure this word means something more than "shop assistant" or "model". Maybe is a "Greeting boy"....

Last edited by a moderator:

TrentinaNE

USA
    English (American)
    Apparently it is a play on the fact that Abercrombie & Fitch (parodied as Albatross & Finch) employs topless male greeters at some of its high-profile stores. The show seems to be openly snarking on the fact that only an Adonis-type can get this type of job. So it should be greeter god, in lower case letters.

Elisabetta

Sunday1977

Italian
    How would you translate in Italian "greeter at a wine bar". I thought the French term maitre, but I'm not sure the meaning is the same. Maitre in un wine bar? What do you think?

baldpate

UK, English
    Moderator Note:

Thread merged with two earlier threads on the subject of "greeters", previously titled:
    greeter at Wal-Mart
    greeter god​
    The previous threads concerned themselves with explaining the term. Let's concentrate on translation this time, please :)

Last edited:

Sunday1977

Italian
    Actually, Sunday1977, this is really good quesion :).

Thare are two previous threads on the subject of "greeters", and nobody has managed to to offer a translation - just re-definitions of the English phrase (to be fair they weren't asked explicitly for a translation :)).

greeter at Wal-Mart
    greeter god

So ... your thread lives! :) ... so long as somebody can offer a convincing translation of "greeter" - not an explanation, but a translation.
    forse può essere: si occupa di accogliere ei clienti?

TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    "Accogliente" is an adjective. Here we need a noun.
    I think Charles is right. Anyway thanks to everybody.
    Tim, the Italian version of that page doesn't list it as a noun. Neither does De Mauro. A native might be able to tell us whether it's used in conversation.
    Ooops...:D

I thought "Well, let me make up a word":) (as I do in EVERY language:D) and I put "accogliatore" in Google,
    and it gave no hits...but it shunted me to Wiktionary....
    I didn't see the word "adjective".

Thanks guys!

NB: A note for the chronicals - "greeter" can be very negative - almost like "dogsbody".

Spiritoso78

Italiano e friulano
    Ciao,

credo lo si possa tradurre con " Personale di ricevimento", che da il benvenuto agli ospiti, siano essi in un bar che nell'atrio di un albergo. Comunque più che "maitre", qui nei wine bar sento spesso il termine SOMMELIER, nonostante ricopra una duplice funzione, sia di barista che di persona che riceve ed illustra le tipologie dei vini.
    Ho visto che nel sito anglo-francese tale termine viene tradotto con wine waiter/steward..

Sunday1977

Italian
    Ciao,

credo lo si possa tradurre con " Personale di ricevimento", che da il benvenuto agli ospiti, siano essi in un bar che nell'atrio di un albergo. Comunque più che "maitre", qui nei wine bar sento spesso il termine SOMMELIER, nonostante ricopra una duplice funzione, sia di barista che di persona che riceve ed illustra le tipologie dei vini.
    Ho visto che nel sito anglo-francese tale termine viene tradotto con wine waiter/steward..
    Forse meglio "personale di ricevimento" perché con sommelier mi sembra di aggiungere una sfumatura in più che il testo originale pare non avere. Grazie!!!!

< Previous | Next >